Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does BPM - for a synchronous interface have a performance bottleneck

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Just have a small query.

We have a scenario in which we need to receive PO details from a legacy system, create a sales order in ecc and send back a response table to the legacy system.

Our understanding is that this can be acheived using synchronous ABAP Proxies and also involves BPM and Abstract mappings.

I beleive that this should not pose any problems. My concern here is that we are confused as to whether BPM would have bottlenecks with performance. Do we have any SAP document or article which mentions that for synchronous interfaces BPM is the only way to go and this would not have a significant impact on the performance.

Another approach to the problem would be to create an asynchronous inbound proxy, write ABAP code within it and call a seperate outbound asynchronous proxy within the inbound proxy method. This approach looks and sounds very clumsy.

Kindly let me know your thoughts or any links which would be useful.

Thanks & Regards,

Mz

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

aashish_sinha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my understanding to your scenario, it is something like below or i would suggest you to go like this.

Legacy (Fetch Data using ABAP proxy) - XI - Sync RFC (Create sales Order and return Bapi return with Table Information) - Post to Legacy system using ABAP Proxy.

In the step XI Sync RFC for creation of Sales Order and to get the response back you probably require to use BPM and in this case it will be fine.

Performance of BPM is effected by Bad Design, Complex mapping, Many loops in BPM, Inbound Processing and BPE engine. In this case you can use BPM.

Regards

Aashish Sinha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aashish,

Thanks for your quick reply. it was helpful, but i am not using RFC's. Correct me if i am wrong, but i have explained the scenarios in detail below.

Scenario 1. Synchronous

1) PI Picks file from a common folder.

2) PI does a data mapping and sends the data to ECC.

3) ECC contains an inbound interface which receives the data and in which abap proxy code is written.

4) The abap proxy code executes a function module and sends the response as an internal table back to PI.

5) PI receives the response and places it in a text/csv file and places it back to another folder.

I assume that the above would be possible only using BPM. What i understand is that in order for an interface to receive and send data, abstract mappings are to be used, and for this BPM is required. We do not have any conversions etc. its just a simple matter of receiving an internal table from ECC and creating a file to place in the folder.

I also understand that BPM could have bottlenecks due to queue and cache issues, messages might be pending, or lost etc.

Scenario 2. Asynchronous

1) PI Picks file from a common folder.

2) PI does a data mapping and sends the data to ECC.

3) ECC contains an inbound interface which receives the data and in which abap proxy code is written.

4) ABAP Proxy code executes the same function module and calls a seperate outbound interface and passes the values to it. This would be used in sending the response back.

5) PI receives the response from the second interface and places it in a text/csv file and places it back to another folder.

I would like to know which would be the better approach. Documentation/references to support your claims would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mz

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As Ashish already pointed if you follow good design standards BPM works perfectly,in my current landscape we alomost have 30 BPM scenarions and working perfectly fine.

coming to your requirement,it looks pretty common and simple.

Option 1 with BPM and Option without BPM(2 interfaces) will def work,but it depends on your comfort

Option1:

If you are going to use this, then execute your Operation mappings in Interface determination and avoid Traformation step.

it will work perfectly.

Option2:

for this kind of requirement i dont prefer implementing two interfaces,the reaon was you dont have complex trasformations ,but this approch also good.

Regards,

Raj

Answers (0)