cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Management problem after upgrade of SAP DB/Database Studio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

after upgrading SAP DB to 7.8.02.21 and Database Studio to the same version (this is on Windows 7 64 bit professional) I experience that starting DB Studio as a normal user fails with a message regarding not being able to execute (?) User Management. To start the program I have to run it as administrator. Once I do this it will, afterwards, work fine for a normal user, too, but only for one day (or possibly one logon to Windows 7).

(The error message does not even contain a hint to that solution)

In previous versions it was necessary to run DB Studio once (after installation) as an adminstrator. After that it would work all the same for normal users.

Is there a way to fix this? The desired behaviour being the one from previous versions that after one administrator run it can be started by my normal Windows user? It's, of course, not serious and I do know a workaround, but it's a bit annoying nonetheless.

(And yes, I do know that Windows 7 is not an officially supported platform. I'm just shyly asking).

Best regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

due to the changes in the security concept in Windows 7 it's now required to be admin when you want to start or stop a service or to create 'global objects' like the shared memory files that are used to communicate between DBM-client, server and database kernel.

Since the user management of MaxDB Studio actually is just a small MaxDB instance, the service for this must be running.

To start the service and to create the shared memory the admin privilege is necessary on Windows 7.

What you may do is to flag the dbstudio.exe as "execute as administrator" - that will give you a pop-up warning every time you run the program but it will work.

I assume that is the workaround that you're already using and it's the one I use as well.

AFAIK the colleagues in Berlin are working on a version that doesn't require a MaxDB instance for local user management - that should remove this kind of problem as well.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

thank you very much for your reply. But I'm still confused, I have to admit. If your explanation is correct, then why did the behaviour change with the upgrade from (maxdb/DB studio version) 7_8_01_18 to 7_8_02_21? Are you referring to recent changes in Windows 7 behaviour which may have been imported with a patch the installation of which incidentally coincided with the database studio upgrade? As explained in my original posting, the previous version had to be started only once (after installing it) as admin. This was on the same Windows 7 instance.

Regards,

Thomas

Answers (0)