cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are not able to setup Backup using RMAN

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using brtools to backup our SAP Databases. We want to setup RMAN Backup and modified below parameters in init<SID>.sap

backup_mode = full

backup_dev_type = disk

disk_copy_cmd = rman

rman_channels = 2

rman_filesperset = 6

I can able to take incremental backup with BRBACKUP using RMAN. But I am not able to take Full backup (level 0) with

using RMAN. If I schedule FULL BACKUP(level0) the BRTROO/BRBACKUP using copy (BEGIN BACKUPCOPYEND BACKUP) to backup the database instead of RMAN.

Is anyone faced this issue? Any help appriciated?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Satishbabu,

this is quite astonishing. According to the Oracle documentation, it should be impossible to perform a level 1 backup without first performing a level 0 backup first.

Did you already perform a level 0 backup manually via RMAN, without using BRBACKUP?

Could you please paste the backup log from directory /oracle/SID/sapbackup (or at least the relevant parts containing error messages and the like)? It is difficult to guess what is going wrong if you simply state: "It is not possible to setup backup using RMAN." RMAN has got a whole slew of error messages on its own.

Regards,

Mark

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Satishbabu,

>

> this is quite astonishing. According to the Oracle documentation, it should be impossible to perform a level 1 backup without first performing a level 0 backup first.

>

> Did you already perform a level 0 backup manually via RMAN, without using BRBACKUP?

It is indeed, and you will not be able to take an INCR brbackup

with either no or an aborted FULL brbackup run before, and

you can play native rman stuff as you want, without a correct full brbackup run, you'll never get brbackup incr to work.

BUT you do not need to do the full backup with rman!

A successfull full backup to any device can be cataloged as a level 0 backup.

So

-m full -d disk

is completely valid backup to disk (begin backup / end backup), that is cataloged as Level 0 after a successfull run.

So "full" does not neccessarily mean BACKUP with rman, but merely

"backed up successfully to any device of your choice and calaloged with rman as a level 0 backup afterwards".

To utilize rman as a backup device you need to specify a rman BACKUP_DEVICE_TYPE like "rman_util" or "rman...".

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Satishbabu,

I'am sorry I never had backup using RMAN directly like that. But I ever doing RMAN backup for Oracle/SAP database using 3rd party tool, HP Data Protector 5.5

It works nicely since this based on integration between Oracle Database library and HP Data Protector library. But this activity do not create any log on SAP level (brbackup log) and this only create HP Data Protector log.

ardhian

http://sapbasis.wordpress.com

http://basishowto.blogspot.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have valid level0 backup using begin backup / end backup. Thats why RMAN Taking Incremental backup.

But I am nota ble to perform level 0 using BRTOOLS . It is using using copy (BEGIN BACKUPCOPYEND BACKUP

Former Member
0 Kudos

pls note that backup is not cataloged with RMAN as Level 0

BRtools taking successful begin backup/end backup as level 0 backup and incremetnal backup running fine using rman.

But If i initiate level 0 it is using begin backup ./ end backup, instead of using RMAN....

Any help?

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

please post the beginning section of your incr-brbackup log,

where the command_line and all the parameters are logged to the protocol file.

It might be possible to give you a valid parameter set for an rman backup that

fits for this incr backup.

Volker