cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSPM Deadlock !! JSPM Can Not Stop SCS Instance for

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody :

Our Current System is NW CE 7.11.3.0. While Launching JSPM to Update it to 7.11.6.0, I am facing the following error :

" Cannot stop system. Cannot stop system. Cannot stop instance NN of system <SID>. Could not execute operating system process for action stop on instance NN . Process ID is 19, process name is sapcontrol. Return code condition success evaluated to false for process sapcontrol for action stop. Archive with all relevant logs and traces is created in

/usr/sap/<SID>/JCYY/j2ee/JSPM/log/errorReport.zip AS Java is not running. Check error details and their possible solution and then Resume. "

Core Issue Is : JSPM needs to restart the entire NW CE 7.11 system for IGS, Kernel and JVM. I updated IGS and Kernel

manually and for JVM , I am facing this issue. I have done quite research and found a good old note 927637 and changed

permissions and added entries in DEFAULT.PFL accordingly. But, problem persists.

The Kernel Files used to manually update 7.11 088 to 711 106 were :

SAPJ2EE_106-10007033.SAR

SAPEXEDB_106-10007034.SAR

I also found 1480785 and 1287407 ( which again talks about 927637 !) .

Per note, I gave " -rwsr-x--- 1 SIDadm sapsys " for sapstartsrv ..................does not work

tried -rwxrwx-- log_2011_07_07_17_44_49 .................does not work

inshort, I have tried 's' and 'x' for sapstartsrv and sapuxuserchk at owner, group and others level.....it's simply not working.

JSPM will simply exit with the above error i.e. it is able to stop the JCNN instance, but it is not able to stop SCSNN instance !?!?

I am not even sure, if this ' JSPM Not able to stop SCSNN' issue is resolved, will JSPM be able to start SCSNN or this same

stalemate will come up !!

My Q is :

#1. which permission exactly 'sapstartsrv' needs ? note 927637 has no mention of this info for this specific file !!

#2. Is there a way out of this deadlock other than setting up Plug In Authentication Module - for which I neither have

OS level access nor Project Time line permits for that.

#3. If I go for CEUPDATE TOOL ..will it make Life easier ? Or this same Dead End will come again in that approach too ?

Pl. share your expertise as, whatever SAP suggested steps are there in the above notes are so far not of use to solve the issue.

Thanks in Advance for your Input and Time as well...

Regards,

- Ishan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ishan,

You might need to check your sapservices file which governs the auto start/stop of systems:

/usr/sap/sapservices

Also check the thread

We had a similar issue sometime back and the sapservices file had to be fixed.

Another ugly workaround is that you stop the system manually whenever the JSPM isn't able to and then continue JSPM. But yes it does work.

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Srikishan.

In our case, there's no Application Servers at all ..just Java and SCS instance and still this issue is there and persists as of now,

despite applying several work arounds !!

I checked the /usr/sap/sapservices file and it has following permissions ( which are the same as that in other servers in landscape ) :

SIDadm> ll sapservices

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root sapsys 3801 Jun 27 14:13 sapservices

Entries Related to Server Where this Issue is ( we have only one Java and one SCS Instance ) :

SHLIB_PATH=/usr/sap/YSU/SCSNN/exe:$SHLIB_PATH; export SHLIB_PATH; /usr/sap/<SID>/SCSNN/exe/sapstartsrv pf=/usr/sap/<SID> /SYS/profil

e/<SID>_SCSNN_jdbciSID -D -u sidadm

SHLIB_PATH=/usr/sap/SID/JXX/exe:$SHLIB_PATH; export SHLIB_PATH; /usr/sap/SID/JXX/exe/sapstartsrv pf=/usr/sap/SID/SYS/profile/SID_JXX_jdXXSID -D -u sidadm

The root cause in our case is sapcontrol program is not working properly i.e. if I execute the following command with the

WRONG password ( i.e. it accepts any pwd !! ) , it will give access check as okay !! :

sapcontrol -host <shorthostname> -nr <instancenumber> -user <sidadm> <password> -function AccessCheck Stop

The other two 'ugly' work around is not useful for us, either , as :

- even if I stop scs51 instance manually , JSPM stops with the same message and again, the root cause is : "Invalid Credentials "

the other message we see is " connection refused " message in one of the JSPM Log !!

- updating JVM manually and thereby bypassing this deadlock is an option ..but, sap is not supporting that option fo CE 7.1

( there's some note mentioning this !)

It seems that something may be wrong with the kernel as well as, I did not find saproot.sh script after updation of kernel i.e.

from 711 Pl 088 to 711 PL 106. So, obviously I have not run that saproot.sh script as it was unavailable.

Beside this, I see only SCS, Enqueue, Gateway on Kernel Lvl 711 - 106 ..the message server is showing 711 PL 81 ..i.e. Kernel

Version even before the one we had previously i.e. 711 088. Not sure, if this disparity is normal in CE 7.11 or not.

It is puzzling that, why repeatedly this same 2 messages i.e. " Invalid Credentials" and " Connection Refused " ) are persisting.

we have multiple instances on single OS i.e. MIOS and I checked the sapstartsrv size with the other servers and the size wise

this file is okay and also, for obvious reason it is also, latest , this being NW CE 7.11 System.

Your thoughts are most welcome !!

Thanks Again..

Regards,

- Ishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ishan,

OK, the sapcontrol accepting any password is very strange indeed.

Most probably the sapcontrol is faulty. Perhaps if you have a backup of the old kernel, try to restore that and check the manual start/stop and JSPM functioning as well.

Else try updating the kernel with the latest available on the SMP i.e. 138.

Regards,

Srikishan