cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSPM Stalemate ! JSPM Can Not Stop SCS Instance !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody :

Our Current System is NW CE 7.11.3.0. While Launching JSPM to Update it to 7.11.6.0, I am facing the following error :

" Cannot stop system. Cannot stop system. Cannot stop instance NN of system <SID>. Could not execute operating system process for action stop on instance NN . Process ID is 19, process name is sapcontrol. Return code condition success evaluated to false for process sapcontrol for action stop. Archive with all relevant logs and traces is created in

/usr/sap/<SID>/JCYY/j2ee/JSPM/log/errorReport.zip AS Java is not running. Check error details and their possible solution and then Resume. "

Core Issue Is : JSPM needs to restart the entire NW CE 7.11 system for IGS, Kernel and JVM. I updated IGS and Kernel

manually and for JVM , I am facing this issue. I have done quite research and found a good old note 927637 and changed

permissions and added entries in DEFAULT.PFL accordingly. But, problem persists.

The Kernel Files used to manually update 7.11 088 to 711 106 were :

SAPJ2EE_106-10007033.SAR

SAPEXEDB_106-10007034.SAR

I also found 1480785 and 1287407 ( which again talks about 927637 !) .

Per note, I gave " -rwsr-x--- 1 SIDadm sapsys " for sapstartsrv ..................does not work

tried -rwxrwx-- log_2011_07_07_17_44_49 .................does not work

inshort, I have tried 's' and 'x' for sapstartsrv and sapuxuserchk at owner, group and others level.....it's simply not working.

JSPM will simply exit with the above error i.e. it is able to stop the JCNN instance, but it is not able to stop SCSNN instance !?!?

I am not even sure, if this ' JSPM Not able to stop SCSNN' issue is resolved, will JSPM be able to start SCSNN or this same

stalemate will come up !!

My Q is :

#1. which permission exactly 'sapstartsrv' needs ? note 927637 has no mention of this info for this specific file !!

#2. Is there a way out of this deadlock other than setting up Plug In Authentication Module - for which I neither have

OS level access nor Project Time line permits for that.

#3. If I go for CEUPDATE TOOL ..will it make Life easier ? Or this same Dead End will come again in that approach too ?

Pl. share your expertise as, whatever SAP suggested steps are there in the above notes are so far not of use to solve the issue.

Thanks in Advance for your Input and Time as well...

Regards,

- Ishan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ishan,

I had the exact same problem while updating/upgrading CE 7.2 systems. Here is the solution and it works:

Run the following command once for each app server of the system and verify if the output is OK or not (including SCS, J* instances):

sapcontrol -host <shorthostname> -nr <instancenumber> -user <sidadm> <password> -function AccessCheck Stop

If the output of this command is AccessCheck failed, execute the following commands by logging into each app server as root:

- cd /usr/sap/<SID>/<INSTANCE>/exe

- chown root:sapsys sapuxuserchk

- chmod u+x,o-rwx sapuxuserchk

Restart the sapstartsrv process for each app server by killing the current process using 'kill -9 <pid>' and then starting a new one using the following command:

./sapstartsrv pf=<path to instance profile> -D

Check the sapcontrol command again and this time it should return AccessCheck OK.

Once sapcontrol returns OK, then your problem is solved and JSPM will be able to restart all app servers.

Regards,

Shitij

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shitij :

Thanks for ' to the point ' reply.

I have executed commands to check sapcotrol behaviour in our system ..but, sapcontrol is THE root cause !!

i.e. the sapcontrol is working in absurd manner in our system :

- even if I give incorrect pwd in it's command, sapcontrol will give result as ' access chek ok ' !!

- even if I shutdown the SCS manually, the JSPM will throw the same message i.e. can not stop SCS51

It has " Invalid Credential" Message in it's one of the logs and the other has " Coneciton Refused "

- we considered updating JVM manually to by-pass this stalemat situation but, SAP don't suppor to do so for CE 7.1.

(There's some note mentioning this. )

This is really absured and frustrating in a way that, ours is only 2 instances i.e. JAVA and SCS of CE 7.1. No App Servers and

still this persists.

It seems that something may be wrong with the kernel as well as, I did not find saproot.sh script after updation of kernel i.e.

from 711 Pl 088 to 711 PL 106. So, obviously I have not run that saproot.sh script as it was unavailable.

Beside this, I see only SCS, Enqueue, Gateway on Kernel Lvl 711 - 106 ..the message server is showing 711 PL 81 ..i.e. Kernel

Version even before the one we had previously i.e. 711 088. Not sure, if this disparity is normal in CE 7.11 or not.

It seems NW CE 7.11 being a latest technology ..SAP wants to keep cards in their hands. Otherwise, updating JVM manually

will have made our life much much easier by now - it takes very little time and everybody will be happy !!

Your thoughts are welcome !!

Thanks Again,

Regards,

- Ishan

Edited by: ISHAN P on Jul 10, 2011 2:53 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As I said, I had the exact same issue with the difference that when I was testing sapcontrol command from OS, it was actually telling me when it failed.

I know that if you manually stop SCS, the tool will not accept it and will still try to stop it. That really is annoying but that is the way it is.

I think that if you set the permissions that I mentioned as a solution to accesscheck failure and thengive the update tool another chance, maybe it will work.

Did you try that?

Regards,

Shitij

PS: Please try and follow only one thread.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shitij :

Beside note 927637, we had to remove ' @ ' from our Passwords i.e. SIDADM, ORASID etc. and it works.

Hope this helps to those who are in same boat !!

Thanks Much, Shitij for your valuable inputs.

Best Regards,

- Ishan

Edited by: ISHAN P on Sep 6, 2011 8:42 AM