cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Localization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How is localization handled in SAP MII ? Our customer have around 20 plants arcoss various countries and we want to know how localization is handled.

Thanks,

Jai

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Assuming you have gone through SAP MII help for Web Page Localization.

You can create your attributes in Localization than access in your irpt page threough {##AttributeName}

It will display the value according to your selected Browser Language (English/German etc.).

Also please go through belo threads may be helpful.

[]

[]

Hope it helps!!

Regards,

Manoj Bilthare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Thanks, when you say creating attributes does it means there is no need to translate the english entries to other language?

I was going through the Documentation of Batch Manufacturing and there are examples for localization, can I use it as a reference for any implementations? Is that standard example to all implementations

Thanks,

Jai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you add an attribute in Localization there only you have to set translates for different languages which will further you can view in your irpt page.

Right now I dont have Batch manufacturing documents with me so may some one who have it he will suggest about same.

hope it helps!!

Regards,

Manoj Bilthare

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

You are correct. The Meta-Inf localization files (one for each language) will contain the attributes and the language specific word or phrase to be used. It is a bit tedious to build initially and I recommend that you have a general section (or use the global localization properties from the MII portal) for common terms and then (as done in Batch Manufacturing) prepend a two or three character group code for less common terms used in/by different areas of the applications.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Manoj and Mike for your inputs. I have a general question again, how do we estimate the efforts for the localization at the time of implementations?

Regards,

Jai

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jai,

I would estimate the number of web pages and perhaps assign a complexity factor (simple= 5 unique and 5 common attributes, moderate= 10 unique and 10 common, etc.). Then determine the number of languages you need to maintain. If it is a lot of languages, it can take a while to get good values for each language. And since I did not do any kanji based languages, I am not sure what extra complexity that might require with the 2 byte characters.

When doing development in Batch Manufacturing, I found it easier to do all the development in English and then add the German equivalents later on (mostly because my German is not so good and I had to get a native to help out). And start development with the localization attributes because retrofitting is a royal pain in the neck.

I think I did about a dozen pages in two languages and estimate (very rough estimate) that each simple page took about two hours for the localization (above and beyond basic development) for only two languages. Each moderate page took about three hours over the course of the development.

Results may vary with the experience and capability (and number of iterations), so I would really recommend taking an existing webpage and retrofitting it with localization so you can get a feel for the complexity. If you are doing grid display templates, you can also do the column headers as single localization attributes (Pedro, you want to chime in? I just copied your scripting).

Hope this helps,

Mike

One other note: The global localization attributes are available across all projects. The Web-Inf files are project specific. So if you have set up multiple projects or have a large group of developers, you may want to have someone who has overall responsiblity for managing the localization attributes. And if you are using NWDI, try to get your developers to check out the Localization Bundles separately from their other objects and only long enough to make their changes. Then check them back in right away.

Edited by: Michael Appleby on Jul 11, 2011 1:37 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the great explanation Mike, I appreciate it.