cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Attributes to be considered for Material Master

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am working on Material Consolidation in MDM where in I have to consolidate the Material master from three different SAP systems in SAP MDM then harmonize the data back to each of these ECC systems. Centralization using portal will follow once this is done.

All the mentioned ECC systems are three entirely different business working independently

To define the enterprise data model there are two questions for which I am looking for answers based on Best practises standpoint and with your experiences in MDM projects

Question 1: Is it a good practice to maintain Plant, Sales org, Purchase org and Classification data and other Local data in SAP MDM Material repository for all the three ECCsystems. I understand this would unnecessarily load the repositoryu. But still looking for your experiences to explore whether there is any business benefit to do this.

Question 2: Let's assume that we maintain only the Global attributes in SAP MDM for material repository then in that case , how do we define the material at global level. From my standpoint Material Global repository should have following fields which would uniquely define the material

(Material Description, Base unit of Measure, Material Type, Industry Sector, Alternative Unit of Measure, Material Group)

Is it the right approach or should I consider some other attributes as well?

Moreover If I define these as Global Attributes then these definitions will have to imposed on the all the three ECC systems which would be a major change as all of the three have different definitions for the abovementioned attributes.

Request your valuable inputs on what should feasible and practical best approach.

Best Regards

Manoj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

This is something which comes to every consultants mind

See this is something very abstract and answer can vary from case to case depending on many parameters like :

1.Client/Businessrequirement.

2.Scenario requirement.(CMDM,Consolidation etc)

3.System Landscape.

4.Performance.

5.Product capability.

And many more.

In my experience I have had a material scenario with only one ERP system having and only one company code.Clients requirement was to have most of the plant related data into MDM as it was a CMDM scenario.So I did take most of the views into MDM system including Location Data,Valuation data,Quality data,Classification data and Sales Data.It worked well there.

However I was a part of another project where we had multiple ERP systems in landscape.It had multiple company codes and client wanted to keep only global data in MDM,after going into ERP system plant relevant data was populated.

So it totally depends and one only has to take a informed decision,I would suggest you prepare a attribute analysis matrix of fields global in nature and then after understanding the relation between fields take a call on data model.

Please go through these links for more help:

https://websmp207.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000059312011E

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f00877e8-b8a9-2b10-d981-c7ece7491...

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/70b0caa1-92e5-2c10-c687-a8d05e778e59

Thanks,

Ravi