OS u2013 Win 2K8 R2

DB u2013 SQL Server 2K8 R2

System Landscape

SAP SRM 7.0

SAP ECC IDES 6.04

SAP MDM 7.1

SAP CE 7.2

SAP NW EP 7.01

Now I am Planning to install SAP PI7.1 EHP1. Is it possible to install PI on the above landscape and what are the steps i have consider before going ahaed with installation.

Regards

Ponnusamy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Now I am Planning to install SAP PI7.1 EHP1. Is it possible to install PI on the above landscape and what are the steps i have consider before going ahaed with installation.

I would go for a different machine.

I would also do a sizing before to make sure the system performs well.

Markus

former_member188073
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI Markus,

I am a part of a team called Center of Excellence here in India. We take care of all R&D/POC servers. We in fact have all our boxes filled with multiple SAP systems. So:

• Number one it is possible, provided you do perfect distribution of your data files across the file system.

• You have to consider the growth of the database and hence equally divide the disks in mannered logical partitions.

• More than the performance you should be worried about space, because that the biggest challenge.

• Archive logs have to be off, in case there not much of 'Very Critical" thing

• Ample SWAP space has to be Provided, that too demands huge disk spaces.

The advantage we have that we have SAN space available which can be utilized at dire times.

Majorly I think it should work If you have around a TB of disk space, you might be also required to allocate as much as 70 GB as swap space.

The only worrying thing is MDM. MDM Oracle eats up to GBs of CPU utilization. We had to hence migrate all of our MDM servers to SQL and move it out of our supervision and hand them over to MDM consultants. This specifically happens after an Upgrade.

Talking of upgrades, insufficient space would also not allow support pack upgrades particularly stack upgrades and EHP4, if you have some distance planning for any.

I would give it a thumbs up minus the MDM server (if you want MDM, try keeping it at SP2 or 3 only) and minus and major support STACK upgrades.

Regards,

Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I stopped all the instance on the host, started the installation of PI7.1 EHP1.

Installation stopped at Create Java users. In this step, it was running for 1 hours.

Can you please help.

Regards

Ponnusamy

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the logs, without logs impossible to say anything.

Regards,

Subhash

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am a part of a team called Center of Excellence here in India. We take care of all R&D/POC servers. We in fact have all our boxes filled with multiple SAP systems.

I never said it's not possible. It's just a pain to maintain and configure. The problem is not the disk space - this can be managed nicely - but the memory. If you mix MDM, ABAP + Java you may the issue, that in a performance critical situation you will not be able to react quickly without impacting other systems. We had this configuration earlier (years ago) and we switched back to one server/VM --> once instance.

If you "just" use those systems to configure things and test things out it's a very good way. Since it was not said whether those are production instances (where 'production' means users doing business work - not testing) I was just assuming as such.

I can just think about that if e. g. PI has a memory problem - instance can't be started because a shared memory segment can't be created because of too less swap. In that case ALL instances + all database are affected if the system needs to be restarted, not to speak of monthly Microsoft patch days - or firewall configurations if you don't patch with all the ports.

As said, it can be a GoodThing(TM) to "just set up and to a POC" but I would very much refrain from such configurations if some hundred users are to be working on that. In that case I'd say it's much easier to set up Hyper-V and install separate instances.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus/Varun,

I need to make PI installation to use only certain amount of RAM and Processor during installtion.

Just say I have to define 8 GB RAM & 2*4 Core Processors during PI installtion or for any other installation

Is there any settings/parameters I can define to use the above resources.

Regards

Ponnusamy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just say I have to define 8 GB RAM & 2*4 Core Processors during PI installtion or for any other installation

Allocating cores cannot be done, all you can do is you can increase/decrease the number of threads/processes that run during the Abap Import phase.

I believe you can allocate the desired RAM for SAP when you perform a custom based installation, This option was there on older sapinst, not sure whether this feature is still present.

Regards,

SBK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I stopped the installation, uninstalled and restarted the installation from scratch, again got stuck in Install Java Engine phase.

When I checkd the sapinst log, I see the below error.

WARNING 2011-07-18 19:51:56.335

System call failed. Error 1816 (Not enough quota is available to process this command.) in execution of system call 'AtlSetDacl' with parameter (winsta0), line (309) in file (synxsyshlp.cpp), stack trace: iaxxejsctl.cpp: 272: EJS_ControllerImpl::executeScript()

d:\depot\bas\710_rel\bc_710-2_rel\gen\optu\ntamd64\ins\sapinst\impl\src\ejs\iaxxejsbas.hpp: 450: EJS_Base::dispatchFunctionCall()

iaxxejsexp.cpp: 178: EJS_Installer::invokeModuleCall()

synxccuren.cpp: 811: CSyCurrentProcessEnvironmentImpl::setEffectiveUser(PSyUser,iastring)

synxccuren.cpp: 672: CSyCurrentProcessEnvironmentImpl::setUser()

synxsyshlp.cpp: 326: grantAccessToWindowStationAndDesktop(S-1-5-21-2759426841-747449894-3340316203-1075)

synxsyshlp.cpp: 292: syslib::grantAccessTo(const iastring & 'winsta0', HANDLE objHandle, SE_OBJECT_TYPE objType, DWORD permissions, DWORD inheritanceFlags, const SyWindows::CSySid & S-1-5-21-2759426841-747449894-3340316203-1075)

Can anyone plz help, whats causing the issue.

Regards

Ponnusamy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Finally solved all the issues and installed PI Server.

ISSUE - 1 - Installation stopped at start java instance

Solution : Stopped all the instance, restarted OS, started the installation

ISSUE 2 :- Stopped at create java users

Solution : As per OSS, uninstalled and restarted the installation

ISSUE 3: Stopped at Install Java Enigine with Error 1816

Solution : Logged in with different user and restarted the installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185292

Regards

Ponnusamy

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

solved

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Now I am Planning to install SAP PI7.1 EHP1. Is it possible to install PI on the above landscape and what are the steps i have consider before going ahaed with installation.

Please refer installation guide, [www.service.sap.com/instguides]

I could see that you already have 6 sap applications running on the same server, so I would suggest you not to overload it by installing PI on the same machine. 16GB is not sufficient to run all these applications. PI alone would need min 6GB.

Ensure that you have sufficient swap space.

Regards,

SBK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SBK,

Sorry, its 64 GB.

RAM u2013 64 GB

Regards

Ponnusamy