cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe as a Semantic Layer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

In my understanding, Universe acts as a semantic layer. By using universe, business users autonomously can use more familiar term and no need to care for the technical complexity behind.

Then in BI 4, it also introduces a direct access method to connect to Bex queries.

My question is, by using direct access, what is the way to maintain the same function as Universe give mentioned above?

Thanks.

Regards,

Handoko

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Without a universe in place, you can't. You must therefore name things properly in the BW query so that users understand exactly what they are reporting from.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Universe is mean as classes and objects for end user.It means user can drag and drop objects without knowing the back end complexity they can create reports.

In direct connection between Bex and BO in BI 4.0 is similar as users are creating reports on universe.Some where it is good SAP reduced the universe layer and maintenance efforts.

I have not seen the BI 4.0 but the same time OLAP universe (BO 3.1) is not much as user friendly like a relational universe.

One question from my side if we can get everything by direct connectivity between BEx and webi then why we need universe.

/people/ingo.hilgefort/blog/2011/03/24/sap-integration-update-9--should-you-start-with-sap-businessobjects-40-or-wait-for-41

These are just my thoughts..

Thanks,

Amit