cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW-BOBJ and GRC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I'm looking to validate ("sanity check") our approach with handling SAP Security when integrating BW, BOBJ, and GRC. Our current BW solution comprises of a BW 3.5 system which has undergone a Technical Upgrade to 7.01. However, the security model has not yet been migrated to 7.0; it remains 3.5.

We are now ready to implement SAP BOBJ BI PACKAGE, which as I understand it has its own security model. We have also installed SAP GRC Access Control 5.3 earlier this year, which will be our central authorization management system going forward.

The approach we've layed out is as follows:

1. Migrate from BW 3.5 to 7.0 security model (backend system)

2. During the integration of the "BI Package" solution, configure BOBJ to use the backend security model; rather than duplicating the effort on BOBJ.

3. Integration BW to GRC (cup, rar, erm) once we've stabilized points 1 & 2.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach? Can anyone point out any issues that may take us down a wrong path long term?

Thanks in advance!!

Jose

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

krysta_osborn
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jose,

The only thing I would add is that you will still probably have to have some level of security in BOBJ. The BOBJ security will say which folders (reports) the user can get to and whether they can do things like refresh the data or schedule reports to run. That is an EXTREMELY simplistic view but if you're not into BOBJ yet I think it's good enough for now.

Your backend access will then give you row level security. The user will run the report and their BW access will determine what data they're allowed to see.

I think it is a great idea to transition to the new security model in BW before tackling BOBJ. I would highly recommend that you read the documentation on the new model at SAP's web site. You'll find the manual for both 7.01 and 7.3 out there. (If you happen upon my previous posts, you'll see that I'm a big fan of reading the manual.) We have a weird hybrid of the old and new security model so the automated conversion tools wouldn't work for us, but they might very well work for you.

Krysta

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Krysta! that was very helpful...

Jose

Edited by: Jose Garcia on Jul 11, 2011 1:17 PM