Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binding option - NORMAL and GLOBAL

former_member202077
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

In our system, in one of custom Adobe interactive form has some fields, which binding option is NORMAL. pls. let me know when we choose NORMAL binding option for a adobe interacrtive field? also pls. let me know abt GLOBAL. When i checked the help, i found below, but, did not understood!

*Normal* 
Enables data merging and saving options. Data values are merged and stored implicitly according to Adobe data-merging rules. 
*Global *
Associates a single data value with all objects that have the same name (see To define a global field).

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

From ALD help:

A global field contains information that appears in multiple locations on your form. For example, an invoice contains an invoice number that must appear in multiple places on the form. In the form design, you could set the invoice number to be a global field and reuse it elsewhere as needed.

Global fields are extremely useful when you have information that you know will be repeated in multiple places. Not only does the use of global fields reduce the amount of data that needs to be sent, they help ensure that exactly the same data appears in the necessary areas of the form.

Using the Global binding property, you can apply the same value to all objects in the form that have the same name.

When you apply the global setting to an object, all objects with the same name will be bound to the same data at run time. Because identically named global objects are linked to the same data value, the data displayed in one global object is automatically displayed in all other global objects having the same name. You cannot have more than one identically named object in a form where some, but not all, of the objects are set to global.

You can apply the global binding setting to the following types of objects:

check boxes

date/time fields

drop-down lists

image fields

list boxes

numeric fields

password fields

radio buttons

text fields

When you apply the global setting to an object, LiveCycle Designer automatically applies the global value to all other objects in the form with the same name. Conversely, if you remove the global setting from an object, LiveCycle Designer removes the value from all other objects with the same name and setting.

Note: When you apply global binding to an object, you cannot add run-time properties such as the current page, number of pages, and current date/time to that object.

To define a global field:

Add the required objects to the form design.

Give each object the same name.

Select one of the like-named objects.

In the Object palette, click the Binding tab. From the Default Binding list, select Global. LiveCycle Designer displays a message confirming that global binding will be applied to all objects with the same name as the selected object.

former_member202077
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you.

Pls. let me know about NORMAL binding, because, the F1 help content is confusing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Normal binding is just not global. The normal binding fields will appear only once in the form, opposite to global fields which appear multiple times.

Best regards, Aldo.

Answers (0)