cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPINST - Fail in phase Start Java Engine - server0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

I'm installing the NW70 SR3 on a VM with 12GB RAM and RHEL 5.4, and I'm getting the

following errors during the Installation phase 29 (Start Java Engine).

CJS-30153 Java process server0 of instance W5X/JC10 reached state

UNKNOWN after having state STARTING_APPS. Giving up.

FCO-00011 The step startJava with step key

|NW_Onehost|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_Onehost_System|ind|ind|ind|ind|2|0|NW_CI_Instance|ind|ind|ind|ind|11|0|NW_CI_Instance_StartJava|ind|ind|ind|ind|5|0|startJava

was executed with status ERROR .

What I have done so far:

a) Decrease Java Memory: from 1024M to 512M and then 256M

b) Decrase Oracle Memory

c) Install Oracle 10.2.0.4 patchset and Opatchs

d) Restart Installation with SAP Instance down (the phase ran for 9 minutes then hung again)

e) Restart the server

I'm using the SAPJVM_4 as Java_Home.

I've opened a ticket in SAP but until now no answer.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Douglas Oliveira

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> a) Decrease Java Memory: from 1024M to 512M and then 256M

It may be possible, because you're using the SAP JVM, that sapinst assumes, that you use a 32bit system because there was no 64bit Java from Sun. The SAP JVM reports to sapinst vendor "Sun". Due to that fact you have now the parameters set as you were installing on 32bit despite you are on 64bit. This is because the installation media and sapinst were created before the SAP JVM became available.

I suggest you follow

Note 1522200 - SAP JVM 4.1 parameters when switching from a partner JDK

and set the parameters according to that note for 64bit.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

The VM has 20GB of swap space.

Markus, another great contribution. Right before your answer I had included the parameters below and returned the Java HeapMemory an Xmx/Xms to 1024M. Now I'll adjust it according to the SAP Note you informed me.

Well... Now the installation Stopped at Phase 38 (Prepare to Install minimal configuratioin). Now Dispatcher is not starting also... I'll keep researching and I will post any new question/solution.

Thank you guys.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Well... Now the installation Stopped at Phase 38 (Prepare to Install minimal configuratioin). Now Dispatcher is not starting also... I'll keep researching and I will post any new question/solution.

Check the logs in

/usr/sap/<SID>/JC00/work

You may have just a typo or a blank in a parameter you changed. JVMs are very picky about that.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys, after checking the recommended parameters for Java Instances on x86_64, I was able to start it correctly.

The main parameters which were causing the error were:

-XX:PermSize

-XX:MaxPermSize

-Xtrace (removed)

Installation completed successfully now.

Thank you guys for the support.

Douglas Oliveira

0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

i ran into the same situation where i am installaing portal app server on Linux x86-64. Our CI is on Hp Ux. During the installation it failed with error [Java: (dispatcher: RUNNING, server0: UNKNOWN)] did not start after 1:00 minutes. Giving up). I have seen few notes and wanted to change the paramaters in config tool but i am not able to find configtool.sh in configtool directory.

Could you help me

Thanks

Jags

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can go to:

/usr/sap/<SID>/<JID>/j2ee/configtool/go

You need a X-Windows session as well.

On the ConfigTool screen, go to: CLUSTER DATA -> INSTANCE -> SERVER ... click on SERVER_ID_xxxx. The Java parameters screen will be shown at your right side. Just put them, SAVE, and restart the Instance.

Good luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How many Swap space do you have for that system? I have faced similar problems and resulted in not enough Swap space.

Regards,