Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ORACLE AGAINST DB2

former_member346210
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

in my company, we are running our SAP mission critical application on HP-UX systems based on Itanium tecnology.

We are using Oracle database. Oracle recently announced that it won't release anymore the Itanium certification for new versions (starting from version 12).

So, all people using Itanium with Oracle platform have to decide the way to follow for the middle-long term.

A solution should be to migrate the SAP installation from Oracle to DB2.

Can someone tell me which is the SAP position on that topic (ORACLE or DB2) and if there are benchmarks to compare SAP systems using Oracle and DB2?

Thanks in advance

Augusto

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> A solution should be to migrate the SAP installation from Oracle to DB2.

Yes, or migrate to MaxDB on HP-UX, Sybase ASE on HP-UX or Windows with SQL Server

Keep in mind that IBM may to a likewise step as Oracle in the future and stop developing DB2 on HP-UX/IA64 because the marketshare is decreasing even more.

To stay with Oracle you could also migrate to Linux (on x86_64) and Oracle so you can keep your database.

> Can someone tell me which is the SAP position on that topic (ORACLE or DB2) and if there are benchmarks to compare SAP systems using Oracle and DB2?

http://www.sap.com/benchmarks

Generally all databases available and released for SAP products can be treated more or less "similar" in sense of performance. If you check the benchmarks there's not a big difference between the databases. It's more a question of features and eventually maintenance fees.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

One doubt where would be saving more if we change the database or the os in terms of licensing.