Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking Boxes

prabhjotsingh_nayyar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello SAP Experts,

My Client has a unique requirement, they want to track Box numbers. They receive the materials in boxes and then same boxes are kept in the store.

Moreover, client wants to issue the materials box wise and not on the basis of Base Unit of Measurement. They do not even have the correct number of pieces which supplier can send in one box and this may vary from time to time.

Is there any standard way of capturing this requirement.

We do not have Handling Unit Management (as no Packing or repacking or removing the packaging done in store) and no WM.

All the stock is inventory managed.

Reply is awaited.

Regards

Prabhjot Singh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you should explain what 'track box number' means exactly. Does it mean that you always move the whole box, or is it also possible to move partial quantity?

If you want to track the box itself in logistics processes, then I think you should implement Handling Unit Management.

If you just want to identify the stock based on the box number and you want to track the movement of individual pieces via the box number, then I think simply you should use batch management.

In the batch master you should find a field (or you could use classification) in which you could store the box id (iyou can also define the batch number corrsponding to the box number if it is acceptable).

prabhjotsingh_nayyar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Implementing Handling Unit Management would involve lot of extra transactions and material is not packed or repacked within the Store. They simply use transaction code MIGO to receive goods and after HUM implementation the process would start with inbound delivery. This is not what the want.

'Track box number' means if we have 100 pieces in one box and production people ask for 270 pieces, then they issue 3 boxes (300 pieces) and after consuming 270, they will return 30 pieces in the same box and then this box is issued back to the store.

I like the idea of using batch management, but can we put the box numbers in any field apart from characteristics. And if we use characteristics, then this would not show in any standard stock report.

Your reply would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Prabhjot Singh

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can see the batch master and find out which field could be used for this purpose in your system (e.g. vendor batch? - MCHA-LICHA).

But if you don't use the batch number to store the ID of the box, you are very likely to have to create reports / modify reports if you want to show that field (independently whether you use classification or a field from batch master - e.g. vendor batch is also not part of MB51's layout).

Former Member
0 Kudos

sounds like HUM is exactly what you need...each box could be a pallet SU and that would work perfectly

just my thoughts, I know that's not the path you want to follow but it fits so nicely with your needs (aside from the additional steps)

prabhjotsingh_nayyar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Arakish,

The problem that I see with HUM is that it gives the option of packing, but in reality the things are never packed. Can this step be by-passed and can we have material with Box packing.

Regards

Prabhjot Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

With custom coding I am sure the packing requirements can be bypassed in WM but not HU managed WM. Also "box" can be used as a packaging material in WM, I cannot think of any other solution then WM and/or HUM. The batch idea may work but that would mean creating a unique batch for every box and I am not sure how practical that would be in your situation.

If you use WM then you could simply use SU for the boxes but you would also have to work with the system changes (I would not advise implementing WM or HU/WM with the intent of copying your current work flow, if you do go that route, embrase it or it will cause you more trouble then it's worth).

prabhjotsingh_nayyar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

The problem with HUM is that the system tells to pack the goods within our store, but in our case the packing received from vendor is kept as it is in the store and then same packed box is issue to production or to cost center.

Moreover the packing done during production is also in different boxe sizes.

After Implemention HUM, can I skip the packing process during goods receipt and simultaneously make sure that packing could be done in various size of boxes during production.

Can this be achieved by implemention HUM.

Regards

Prabhjot

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

prabhjotsingh_nayyar
Contributor
0 Kudos

THanks all...I am thinking of simply using issuing unit and purchase unit as Boxes. Not sure how it will behave in already live production system. I hope this will solve my purpose.