cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Universes from a SQL Server 2008 Database....Options?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Needing to create a Universe from a SQL Server 2008 DB, I am of course finding it difficult at best to get the ball rolling. Support tells me the only option I have is to use Designer, and to not use the "Automated Detection" features because they are not for production environment use <citing business requirement differences as one issue, as was noted during a support call when I was having problems with our VM server literally locking up while the "Automatic Detection" features were trying to run>.

So what that means is, from what I see, I am expected to manually add all of the SQL DB tables, and then have a Developer spend multiple hours adding appropriate Joins, Cardinalities, Keys, etc. And, whenever there are any DB changes, this has to be done all over again to the Universe to allow for syncronization with the DB.

This really seems like a heavy load to bear just to be able to use SAP. Is anyone else having these same challenges? Are there other options I am just not seeing? Seems to me Builder needs a SQL bridge honestly.

Appreciate any help I can get!!

-Carl

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Auto detection feature is not good as in the universe designer it will add all possible joins between the tables.

Better way as you mentioned Add tables ,set joins and create classes and objects in the universe.

Same time designing universe is one time effort and users can create many reports on single universe.

Thanks,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand that, but what about when you create a new Universe and under "Strategies" in Universe Parameters, if you set the "Joins" option to "Database Keys Matching Names", again nothing happens when you add the tables that I can tell. If we use keys to define what should be joined, should I not be able to have the Designer take that into consideration when you do add the tables? Or does that function not really do anything constructive?

Former Member
0 Kudos

That function assumes that you want to create the most basic of universes.

If you've never created a universe over a database then I would strongly recommend a universe design course. Understanding the underlying database is very useful too. Are you developing over an online system or a data warehouse/data mart?

Building the universe from scratch to meet reporting requirements works fine and allows you to develop parts at a time and release those parts for testing as required.

Unlike with SAP queries, if the underlying database changes, you can simply choose View -> Refresh Structure and Designer will highlight which tables are impacted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

This is a need to create a new Universe from a Sql Server 2008 database. I am primarilly a Technical Analyst, who is having to now obtain Development time, with me creating the Universe and adding the needed tables, then having Development guide me on the joins, links, cardinalities, everything else that's needed to make SAP come together. It's just rather confusing how Designer can read from the database the keys and such, yet it simply can't read the full structure that exists and import into Designer. In SQL Server, the links, joins, cardinalities etc are already in place. It's disappointing that Designer <or Builder for that matter> can't read from it and use the same settings.

Unfortunately we are under contract to provide the finished product to our client by the end of summer, so theres not a lot of time for taking courses, etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

While it may seem disappointing, as long as you have the data schema and knowledge of the joins and cardinalities, then you've got a lot of the easy stuff sorted out.

What you need to provide is a presentation layer that is more than just turning the tables and columns into classes and objects. There are often things that you need to create that don't exist in the database, such as objects for relative dates. These can be found in the thread that I created over on the BOB Board here:

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?t=152613

Make sure that all objects have a description

Make sure that all dates and numbers have a format; there's nothing worse than creating a report and finding your year displayed as 2,011.00

Use predefined filters - include prompts

Other useful tips are available here:

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?t=15227

Do you have a set of reporting requirements?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not really sure how to respond as far as the date settings and things outside the database that need to be allowed for goes. Is there anything in the SAP documentation on all that that validates what "extra" work needs to be done in setting up the Universe aside from duplicating the database structure in SAP?

As far as reporting requirements go, our clients useage of BI is going to be very simplistic. As an example, they are used to using Crystal Reports 9 to create reports directly againsta database. They have been moved to a new system where the database server is no longer local <it's hosted by us> and not exposed, thus they needed a web alternative. It was decided to go with SAP BI. So their expectations are very low, they just simply want to create simple reports based on the data.

I really think an SAP consultant should come free for thirty days with purchase of SAP BI..

Former Member
0 Kudos

What products have you bought?

If you've bought the SAP BI suite, that's something different to the SAP BusinessObjects suite.

BusinessObjects had been its own separate entity for many years (itself acquiring Crystal in 2003).

If it's the BO product suite then it's going to be far easier than you're fearing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My apologies. It's SAP BO XI 3.1 that we have.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No need to apologise.

BOXI 3.1 is a solid platform for you to work with.

Nice and stable and easy to use with a good mature product base in Designer and Webi.

For any questions, ask either in here or over at the semantic layer of the unofficial BusinessObjects Board, "BOB": http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewforum.php?f=36

There's going to be someone who has done what you're trying to do.

Best of luck and welcome to the world of universe design.

Have a look through the designer guide and keep the sample universes (eFashion/Island Resorts) handy to try things out on.

Regards,

Mark

Answers (0)