cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NW 7.3 Portal / E-Learning / ECC/ERP EhP4 compatibility question

Former Member
0 Kudos

We currently are using the SAP Portal specifically for E-Learning capabilities. Our current configuration is:

Portal:

NetWeaver 7.01 EhP7

LINUX RHEL 5

ORACLE 11.2.0.1

ABAP back-end system for E-Learning:

ERP / ECC 6.0 EhP4

LINUX RHEL 5

ORACLE 11.2.0.1

We would like to upgrade the Portal system to NetWeaver 7.3 SPS 3 but the ABAP system will remain (for about 6 months) at its current versions. We have already determined that due to the Business Packages that we had to deploy for E-Learning functionality, we cannot upgrade from NW 7.01 EhP7 to NW 7.3 with the current released kit. SAP has confirmed that this is not possible with the current released upgrade kit but that we will have to wait until a newer kit is released. We have determined our best course to meet the project timelines is to insatll new NetWeaver 7.3 systems and conifugre them for E-Learning and move our environments to the new version / portals.

Since we ran into this problem with the upgrade kit not able to handle the installed Business Packages specific to E-Learning, my manager now wants configuration that the E-Learning components of the Portals on NetWeaver 7.3 are likewise compatible with the ABAP system. We do not want to invest the time and resources into migrating the portals in this manner if the ABAP system is still running ECC 6 / ERP EhP4 and it is not a supported configuration.

We have not found anything specific on the SAPNet website that states this configuration is valid so my manager has requested I ask for:

"SAP confirmation that a NetWeaver 7.3 Portal against an ERP 6.0 w/EHP4 system is a supported configuration for Enterprise Learning functionality"

We do intend to upgrade the ECC / ERP system to EhP5 which we know is a support configuration for E-Learning. But that upgrade will not take place until the end of the calendar year 2011. The Portal project to fully roll out the E-Learning specific capabilities of the Portal would liek to use the newer NW 7.3 version as it has more functionality and woudl require development / testing / user training only once instead of starting with NW 7.01, dev / test / train and then upgrade and re-do dev / test / train.

Can anyone from SAP please confirm that NW 7.3 Portal for Enterprise Learning is compatible with ECC 6 / ERP with EhP4 and is a valid and supported configuration?

Thank-you,

Deb Nugent.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your configuration is not supported. Please check SAP note 1532805.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sunny,

I've read through SAP note 1532805 and I cannot see what makes you say it is not compatible. Please explain.

We also know that we cannot upgrade with the current kit released for NetWeaver 7.3 because of the Business Packages that we have installed. However, we do know that we can install a new NetWeaver 7.3 system and apply the Business Packages after the installation.

We have installed a NetWeaver 7.3 Portal and have configured it against an ABAP stack ECC 6 / ERP system at EhP5 aready. We applied the appropriate Business Packages and have it configured where it is useable.

The only issue we have is the fact that the project wants to use NetWeaver 7.3 starting now and the ABAP stack ECC 6 / ERP system is not scheduled to be upgraded to EhP5 until November / December 2011. Thus, we are trying to determine if we can install new NetWeaver 7.3 systems, include the Business Packages and run against an ABAP Stack ECC 6 / ERP system that is at EhP4.

So please, what in that note indicates to you that our conifguration would not be compatible?

Deb Nugent.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you look at SAP note then in point number 2 SAP Business Suite, then you will see below:

EHP4 FOR SAP ERP 6.0 (Java Applications only) is planned for CW 28 2011

EHP5 FOR SAP ERP 6.0 (Java Applications only) is planned for end of Q3/2011

Configuration which you are doing is Technically possible but might be SAP would not support it. You can raise an OSS with SAP for the same.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sunny,

Thank-you very much for your suggestions. I had already logged a call with SAPNet and they have answered. When I read the SAP note you suggested, it said that if the ECC6 system was at EhP4 and had a Java instance (Dual Stack is how I read it), then you are correct, we would not have a supported configuration.

In our case, the ECC6 system is at EhP4 and is an ABAP-only stack. I received this information from SAPNet:

Dear Deb,

Portal:

NetWeaver 7.01 EhP7

LINUX RHEL 5

ORACLE 11.2.0.1

ABAP back-end system for E-Learning:

ERP / ECC 6.0 EhP4

LINUX RHEL 5

ORACLE 11.2.0.1

Can you please confirm this is a valid and supported configuration?

Yes, It is supported, because you have different systems and not the

dual stack installation.

Thanks,

Best regards,

E. R.

SAP Active Global Support - Netweaver Web Application Server