cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Needed on Hyper-V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are planning to migrate our existing SAP Servers to a virtualized environment user Hyper-V. We need some clarifications before we start on the same.

We have a current Server with 4 x 4 cores, 64 GB RAM, 6TB HDD, Windows 2K8 R2 and SQL Server 2K8 R2. On this server we have installed 6 SAP Servers(both ABAP and JAVA based). We want to install two more SAP servers on this machine but planning to use the Hyper-V Mode to ensure that there is no conflict. With this background here are my queries.

u2022 How many Hyper V Images we can run simultaneously in this server given the hardware details? Is there any minimum requirement of each Image in terms of cores/memory?

u2022 Can the two servers in the two images talk to each other and share data. If yes is there some special setting required for the same? New Network Cards? Will each of the images get separate IP Addresses?

u2022 Is it possible to take a Image of existing installation (6 SAP Servers and SQL Server) that we have done? I think this was possible in VMWare. If yes how can this be done. Any pointers will be helpful. Also if I later want to run this image in a Hyper V Mode, what are the steps to be followed? The issue I foresee is that in this image the servers are using Machine Name as host. In the Hyper V mode the host name will change. So how will this work?

u2022 Can I run the normal windows mode along with Hyper V. Basically we want to keep our 6 SAP servers running and for the two new servers create two hyper V instances and allocate 2 cores and 4GB RAM each. Is this possible? Or as per Microsoft on the root we should not run any server?

If anyone can help me with the answers of these queries, that will be of great help

Regards,

Shubham

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We have a current Server with 4 x 4 cores, 64 GB RAM, 6TB HDD, Windows 2K8 R2 and SQL Server 2K8 R2. On this server we have installed 6 SAP Servers(both ABAP and JAVA based). We want to install two more SAP servers on this machine but planning to use the Hyper-V Mode to ensure that there is no conflict. With this background here are my queries.

You should not run SAP instances on the server with the hypervisor (the OS running on the metal). If you want to virtualize, then do it for all instances.

Read

Note 1246467 - Hyper-V Configuration Guideline

Note 1570141 - Key Figures of Virtualization on Hyper-V

> u2022 Is it possible to take a Image of existing installation (6 SAP Servers and SQL Server) that we have done?

If they are running on the same OS you will always take images of everything.

> I think this was possible in VMWare.

So those 6 servers are virtualized already??

> The issue I foresee is that in this image the servers are using Machine Name as host. In the Hyper V mode the host name will change. So how will this work?

The safest way is to do a homogeneous system copy.

> u2022 Can I run the normal windows mode along with Hyper V. Basically we want to keep our 6 SAP servers running and for the two new servers create two hyper V instances and allocate 2 cores and 4GB RAM each. Is this possible? Or as per Microsoft on the root we should not run any server?

According to

Note 1246467 - Hyper-V Configuration Guideline

this should not be done.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your response. Here are my followon questions

- Currently the servers are not virtualized. We would like to know how to start with taking Image of Existing Installation. Are there any documentation on tools available for the same? As I understand from your response, I can only take ONE Image of the existing servers and cannot break it since the they are on same OS. Kindly confirm if this is correct

- What do you mean by homogeneous system copy in your response?

Regards,

Shubham

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> - Currently the servers are not virtualized. We would like to know how to start with taking Image of Existing Installation. Are there any documentation on tools available for the same?

> As I understand from your response, I can only take ONE Image of the existing servers and cannot break it since the they are on same OS. Kindly confirm if this is correct

What do you mean with "taking image"? There's no (SAP) tool available to image an instance on Windows.

> - What do you mean by homogeneous system copy in your response?

I mean with that:

- you back up the source instance

- you install a NEW OS on a Hyper-V VM

- you use the homogeneous system copy guide to import that backup to the target system

Markus