Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying oracle patch set for Oracle 10.2.0.4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need some clarification on below suggestions from SAP,

<div class="jive-quote">there is also no optimizer mergefix installed in the database. This can lead to big performance problems due to wrong Oracle Cost Based Optimizer decisions. SAP therefore requires the installation of so called SAP Bundle Patches. Please refer to

SAP note #1137346 - Oracle 10.2.0: Patches/patch collections for Oracle 10.2.

It is mandatory to install the most current available SBP in SAP environments.</div>

I have Oracle 10.2.0.4 and AIX 6.1 for my all SAP systems, please guide me what exact steps I have to follow, as this note contains information about the relased oracle patch set but doesnt have information about how to apply.

I never applied any oracle patch set before and very new to all this, so your solution will help me a lot in this task.

Regards,

Ramesh.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

>

> I need some clarification on below suggestions from SAP,

>

> <div class="jive-quote">there is also no optimizer mergefix installed in the database. This can lead to big performance problems due to wrong Oracle Cost Based Optimizer decisions. SAP therefore requires the installation of so called SAP Bundle Patches. Please refer to

> SAP note #1137346 - Oracle 10.2.0: Patches/patch collections for Oracle 10.2.

> It is mandatory to install the most current available SBP in SAP environments.</div>

>

> I have Oracle 10.2.0.4 and AIX 6.1 for my all SAP systems, please guide me what exact steps I have to follow, as this note contains information about the relased oracle patch set but doesnt have information about how to apply.

>

> I never applied any oracle patch set before and very new to all this, so your solution will help me a lot in this task.

>

> Regards,

> Ramesh.

Hi Ramesh,

Firstly, go to "http://service.sap.com/swdc -> Software Downloads -> Database Patches -> Oracle -> Oracle 10.2.0.4 -> OPatch" then download and install OPatch_10205_Generic_v0.zip

Secondly, go to "http://service.sap.com/swdc -> Software Downloads -> Database Patches -> Oracle -> Oracle 10.2.0.4 -> Database RDBMS -> Generic (32-bit / 64-bit)" then download and install "Pre-Upgrade Information Utility utlu102i.sql (zipped)" and "p8350262_10204_Generic.zip"

Thirdly, "http://service.sap.com/swdc -> Software Downloads -> Database Patches -> Oracle -> Oracle 10.2.0.4 -> Database RDBMS -> AIX5L (64-bit)" then download and install "SAP_102048_201106_AIX.zip"

You can find readme fles in the zip files.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Orkun,

Thanks for prompt reply. As per your instruction I have downloaded the respective files as mentioned below.

I am also going through the Readme.html for each activity. I prepared the following activity list as after all the reading.

1 Downloading the Patch bundle and its subsequent files

2 Upgrading the Opatch version to 10.2.0.5.0

3 Upgrading the Mopatch version to 2.1.8

4 Checking the patch conflict

5 Installing the SAP Bundle patch

6 Executing the Post installation instructions

Please let me know, if I am missing any step in this.

Also I am also looking about the total time that may take to complete these activities, as I have to declare the downtime for before I start.

Please reply.

Regards,

Ramesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Anybody please let me know the steps I mentioned are correct or not, because this is first time I'm doing and need to get more confidence about it.

Regards,

Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramesh,

>> Also I am also looking about the total time that may take to complete these activities, as I have to declare the downtime for before I start.

Total time depends to your hardware, but it will take something around 2 hours

Steps are looking correct. Good luck.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Edited by: Orkun Gedik on Jul 7, 2011 8:36 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

Thanks a lot for quick response, let me start doing it on DEV and confirm my actions.

Regards,

Ramesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

The patch update completed successfully. The readme file provided along with it, is very helpful and has all the steps with detailed description.

Thanks n Regards,

Ramesh.