Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BOBJ connection with SQL server 2008

former_member203111
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Gurus

I want to install bobj server on a server that already have SQL server 2008 installed on it, I have few confusions as this is my first time installation, I hope you can help me.

1. Since SQL server is installed on the same machine where I have to install bobj, do I need to create an ODBC connection. Note that O/s is windows server 2008.

2. What kind of other softwares or tools do I need to istall on the server to connect bobj server to sql server in order to crate universe on sql database, for example, Microsoft IIS and ASP.NET, .NET frame work etc etc or are these installed by default automatically when sql server or bobj server installed on the machine.

3. is there any checklist I need to go through before I start with the installation of bobj server.

4. Last but not the least but very important, does anyone has step by step guid with screen shot to thjis installation connectivity.

I would appreciate your feedback and respoce.

Regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 4. Last but not the least but very important, does anyone has step by step guid with screen shot to thjis installation connectivity.

http://service.sap.com/instguides

--> SAP BusinessObjects

--> SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI)

--> Business Intelligence platform (Enterprise)

--> XI 3.1

This folder contains all the installation and setup guides you need.

Usually you do a sizing with the hardware vendor for the BO server to make sure that the system is performing well for your planned applications.

Setting up a SAP system (be it BO or any other) is not "setup - next - next -finish", that's why it's impossible to give a "screenshot document" to set up.

Markus

former_member203111
Participant
0 Kudos

Markus

Thanks for the in info.

what do you exactly mean my set---next next and finish, I think if eveything is setup already such as database server, app server, dev qa and prod and sizing , users etc etc then i guess installing bobj is pretty simple, all i need is a odbc connection to set up, i am not sure what kind of problems should i be anticipating.

Also I am not talking about admin part, universe design and report development ,its totally seperate issue, I was just concerned about installing a bobj tool on the server and to connect it to sql server.

Do you have any thoughts on this, would appreciate

Regards

Edited by: SAP_LCCHS on Jul 6, 2011 9:58 AM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> what do you exactly mean my set---next next and finish, I think if eveything is setup already such as database server, app server, dev qa and prod and sizing , users etc etc then i guess installing bobj is pretty simple

> , all i need is a odbc connection to set up, i am not sure what kind of problems should i be anticipating.

Read the installation guide - and figure yourself if you consider it "easy".

> Also I am not talking about admin part, universe design and report development ,its totally seperate issue, I was just concerned about installing a bobj tool on the server and to connect it to sql server.

> Do you have any thoughts on this, would appreciate

As said - read the installation guides

There's a reason why they are there and why they are so big.

All I can say that it is not as easy as doubleclicking a "setup.exe", pres "next", "next" and "finish".

Did you check the guides?

Markus

former_member203111
Participant
0 Kudos

Markus

Thanks for the detail answer, yes I am in a process of reading the guide, I have a quick question though.

When connecting bobj server to the exisiting sql server there is an option as follows:

"Select the Reset existing database box to delete all current tables and entries in existing database CMS and auditing databases"Do you know what does that suppose to mean, will that make any difference to the actual sql server database tables and enteries or is it just on the bobj side.

I am wondering if by selecting this option I dont mess up the sql server tables.

I would appreciate your reply.

Regards

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> When connecting bobj server to the exisiting sql server there is an option as follows:

> "Select the Reset existing database box to delete all current tables and entries in existing database CMS and auditing databases"Do you know what does that suppose to mean, will that make any difference to the actual sql server database tables and enteries or is it just on the bobj side.

> I am wondering if by selecting this option I dont mess up the sql server tables.

The data will get deleted if the database name the CMS and audit DB is running is the same as your current database.

Markus

Answers (0)