Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restrict access to download/ upload UME configuration file

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

can anybody help me find/ suggest a way how to find which action protects the UME configuration upload/ download functionality? In my opinion this feature is a potential security risk and I would like to protect it.

Either check who can use this functionality or remove it from roles if possible.

Thank you,

Otto

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If any users have any roles containing the action 'Manage_All', then that user can change UME config.

As far as standard roles are concerned, the user_admin role contain this action already. Also, Administrator role, Super_Admin role as well.

Regards,

Shitij

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for the answer. But my question was one granularity level deeper. I am not interested in who can do that. I want to know how to restrict the access. Or if I have to give that access because I can`t remove it easily, what exactly should I check - checking standard roles are not enough in my opinion, one can fiddle with that and use it somewhere else, I believe.

Thanks anyway,

cheers Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Otto,

Yes, that is why I said the action 'Manage_All' needs to be prevented.

Regards,

Shitij

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Otto,

Basically roles in the JAVA side consist of 3 levels... permissions -> actions -> roles

You can tweak the permissions add it to actions assign it to roles..

Theres a pretty good tutorial in help.sap.com

Regards

Juan

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

thanks for jumping in:)) I understand the concept, but either there is no (not much) documentation or I don`t get it:))

If you say nice tutorial, can you please share the link? I spent time researching before asking, but the maturity level of Java stack and the Java related information sources is quite different from ABAP, so I was not able to find my answer by myself.

Let`s see if this gets improved...

cheers Otto

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shitij,

I understand your advise, but the granularity is awful. There is pretty far from the ABAP authorization concept (ok, I know Java part is new, not mature enough, but still... it can`t be all or nothing, SAP_ALL or Manage_all is just too blunt).

Otto

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Otto,

I haven't had the need to tweek the UME roles myself and it can be confusing indeed... but you can use Portal Content Studio and Identity Manager to create/edit the Portal and UME roles respectively

Check

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/ac/e0c1d5828b4e8e903c29a250a611ca/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/a4/d39b3e09cdf313e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Under IM,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/4a/e06f429c789041e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

I think you need to change the UME Standard actions to achieve your goal,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/49/8b4659c793355ae10000000a42189b/frameset.htm

Again, I'm quite green in this area but let me know if that helps.

Regards

Juan

PS: BTW, Sorry for the linkfarm

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Juan,

thanks for the linkfarm, unfortunatelly I have been to all these places. If not, you could report this thread as "failed to search":)))

In my opinion part of the solution is to control the object Batch_Admin. But Batch_Admin of course does not do anything. When you log to NWA with user which only has this Batch_Admin, you see nothing. So I am not sure what does this one protect. And by the way the message you get in such case is: You are not authorized for NWA or something like that.

That leads to a conclusion that you must have some kind of Admin access so Batch_Admin gives any sense to you.

As for the second part: how to limit the access to upload/ download... I am afraid the NWA is not that far, but still want a confirmation from other people. The granularity seems to be all or nothing, so search for an "authorization object" that protects this upload download function is silly....?

I still think upload/ download can be misused and I would like to protect it or at least mitigate the risk somehow. So what else can I do except periodically check who has admin access and so can use this upload/ download?

Has anybody experienced a security incident where somebody changed the configuration this way?

Are there any "change documents" available so I can see who and when and maybe even how changed the configuration?

Thanks,

cheers Otto

Answers (0)