cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solman-ARIS // How to copy a Solman project ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Solman Gurus!

I'm an IT student in germany and I'm writing my bachelor thesis about service-oriented architectures and business process management. Therefore I use the SAP Solution Manager and ARIS as modelling tool.

In my case-study I want to integrate Webservices in our ARIS models and into the Solution Manager projects and blueprints.

The as-is state is already finished and I only have to build up the to-be state. It means that our AIRS model are synchonized consistantly with the Solution Manager project.

Now I want to copy these whole as-is state project into an new project. Is there any possibility to do it? Or is this impossible?

After it I want to use it as my new to-be state an synchronize it again with ARIS to build up the ARIS to-be status.

My wish is to get 2 equal projects that I don't have to build up a new Solman project by hand which is identic to the others.

Many greetings

Sebastian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastin,

You can integrate your ARIS model into SAP Solution Manager. There is a SAP Solution Manager adapter available in ARIS site which is in the form of transport you need to import in SAP Solution Manager.

Moreover , You can map your Business Process model only in 3 levels Business Scenarios-> Business Processes -> Business Process Steps. In ARIS , you may have more number of levels.

Please give you email id so that i can send some documentation on this and how to work on the integration.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks,

Jagadish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your fast reply.

I had synchronized ARIS models to Solman some times ago. I know how it works. My problem is how to create a reproducible sceanrio which I can use for the whole process life cycle. It means a scenario which is at first my as-is state. Whean there are some changes in the process I want to copy it and use it for building my to-be state. And for the next changes the to-be state it our knew as-is state and so on.

How it possible to copy a solman project into a new project by using the same ARIS database?

Edited by: S.Simon89 on Jul 4, 2011 1:14 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We also got the similar situation. The method which I follow is below,

--> Sync the ARIS model into a Solman Project.

--> Copy the Solman Project into one more project (keep this project as Baseline) . In solar_project_admin in SAP Solution Manager you have an option to copy a full project (including its structure ) to a new project.

--> If you are making changes directly in Solman project , then compare the baseline project and the project synced from ARIS for changes. Update the ARIS model accordingly.

--> If you are changing the ARIS model and you want to sync it to the SOlman project , you can re-sync that as well.

Hope this suffice your requirement. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Jagadish

Edited by: jagadish gudla on Jul 4, 2011 1:42 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just so I am clear on your requirement, at the end do you want 1 ARIS database synching to a new SolMan project and the old SolMan project that ARIS previously synched to saved as a baseline?

If so, I would do the following:

1. Copy your SolMan project and archive the old one

2. Copy your ARIS database and archive the old one (include the date in the name).

3. Delete the SAP ID's in your new ARIS database

4. Synch the new ARIS database with the new SolMan project and use these two projects going forward.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your other option is to synch to a template project and let SolMan control your rollouts with implementation projects.

You would update ARIS, synch to your template project, then push whatever changes you want to one or more implementation projects.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Jason!

These both ideas are really good. My problem was that someone told me there is an SAP ID which hinders me to copy the ARIS datebase and sync it with my new Solman project. I didn't thougt that this is so easy. Well, I will try it tomorrow.

I will leave the quest open for further conversation. Maybe you have some other good ways to find a solution. I shall look for more than one possibility for copying a solman project an compare them in my thesis.

But at the end I will give you the 10 points for your great idea!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's not that hard to delete the SAP IDs, you can do it with the Attribute Wizard.

1. Just run a find on all processes

2. Select all of the results, right click and select Attribute Wizard

3. For the Select Items step, leave the two checkboxes blank

4. For the Select Action step, select Maintain Attributes (this may be Delete Attributes, I don't have a system in front of me to be sure. Try Maintain first.)

5. For the Select Attributes step, Add SAP ID and enter its value as an empty field.

Again backup your database before doing this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jason,

i tried what you said to me, but it doesn't work. I deleted the SAP-ID of all objects and processes. But when i start the sync to another ARIS Database i got this error:

Error Code: SOLAR_0023

Unable to start SAP synchronization for this function. Please make sure that a valid SAP ID is maintained for the function.

In Addition to this topic i found this forum article:

http://www.ariscommunity.com/users/dtandel/2011-06-02-error-code-solar0023

I want to ask you again if there is any possibility to sync an ARIS to another Solman project. It means that i have synced Solman project "Test1" to Aris. And now i want to sync back to the other project "Test2"! Is it possible and if so how to do it?

Please help me!

Former Member
0 Kudos

We probably just missed a step in the ARIS database cleanup. Did you delete your synch object in the ARIS database?

Basically you want to to delete the SAP IDs on all the objects and cleanup the synch folder structure so it looks like you have never synched. You know how when you do the inital transfer it creates a object that you need to drag into another folder? You need to clean all of this up. I don't have a system in front of me, so I don't know the exact folder names. If you do this last step, the initial transfer will work with the new SolMan project.

You definitely can do it this way, it's how we bring in our preconfigured business processes when we go to a client.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand what you mean and till now I forgot to delete it. Sounds logical! It will try it some times again.

Thank you!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jason,

now the synchronization works. But not as i wanted it to work. It is only syncing the new objects and my new ARIS objects.

I deletet the sync object of my old project and synced it inital with my new one.

The problem is this:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/1686/arisattribut2.png

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1395/arisattribut.png

The first picture shows my new project. The Sync Project is here BA_SES_V3. The second pircture is my old project BA_SES_V1. As you can see it is greyed out, so i can't change it!

When i start the sync of my new project it only transfers the data belonging to the new project. But there are no data because i want to copy the old data to the new project. So in SolMan my blueprint is empy.

But i want to sync all models with sync project attribute BA_SES_V1 to the solman project BA_SES_V3.

Can you ore someone else give me an advice how to do it? Please help my, already i am the opinion that it isn't possible,?

Thank you!

Edited by: S.Simon89 on Jul 15, 2011 10:34 AM

Edited by: S.Simon89 on Jul 15, 2011 10:38 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I had also to face with this kind of requirement i.e. using an existing ARIS Database with a new Solution Manager Project.

Here is the solution I should apply:

1° Create a new empty Solution Manager Project with the same system landsacape as the first project.

2° Download this empty Solution Manager project to a newly created and empty ARIS Databse.

==> Result of these 2 firts steps you have an empty ARIS database with the correct synchronizable structure (Project object - SAP ID - SAP context-.....)

3° Merge the object you need from your first ARIS Database to the new ARIS Database and take care of repsecting the synchronization structure (-Scenario Process-Process Step)

4° As decsribed above delete SAP ID attributes of newly merged object. SAP ID has to be empty since this SAP ID is given by SOLMAN.

5° Start Synchronization.

Conclusion: You always have to start with a Download from SOLMAN because having bascic project structure (Project object - SAP ....) is a must before first synchronisation.

PS: If I well remember I had problem to create a new structure from Level 1 (Scenario). In other word Scenario had to be downloaded from SOLMAn and not created from Scratch in ARIS. I was able to create new structure directly in ARIS from level 2 Process ==> To be tested.

Hope this will help you.

Best regards.

Benoî

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thank you for your help. What you said is good and i understand what you mean. Your 3° seems to be very interesting for me, what do you mean with merging the models and how do you do this?

Thanks,

Sebastian