SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binary Conversion of file in Emigall(why)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can any one tell me what is the purpose of converting the file to binary before loading through EMIGALL?Why is it necessary?I have checked the file On application server in the directory where file after binary conversion is placed.I was expecting it to be in binary format i mean combination of 0's and 1's.But it was not.So can anyone please elaborate.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arya

Very strange question.

There's only one valid file format for the EMIGALL upload files at the moment, so obviously the file has to match that particular format.

Not absolutely sure why we chose this file format instead of a delimited TXT file (it was a very long time ago), two things spring to mind:

• Inclusion of "special" characters in the content, that could also be used as column delimiter, without compromising the file layout

• Incorrect file layout, like missing or additional columns compared to the EMIGALL customising, easier to identify and more likely to fail

Please note, I don't want to start a discussion here why one format is better than another. Simply accept it, it's not a big deal and move on.

I am certain your file is in binary format, you only use the wrong editor to display the file

Yep

Jürgen

0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

Thanks for helpful answer.It was just out of curiosity i asked this question.

0 Kudos

Hello Jürgen,

Wasn't it you who invented the binary file format of the ISMW? :o))

Cheers, Fritz

PS: no new discussion to be started - I am just joking ...