cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JavaEE application callable from a SAP Backend

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'd like to make an application that gets messages from a mail server via IMAP-S and sends these messages to a SAP backend.

This application should work 'on demand': i.e., it should be callable on request from the same SAP backend.

Mail Server <--- IMAP -> JavaEE Application "Mail Proxy" <- RFC ---> SAP Backend

I think that in order to do this, I have to make an application that run on a J2EE Application Server (not on a SAP portal) that uses SAP Java Connector.

Can someone point me to some examples or documentation in order to do this? Is this feasible (make an application that activates on demand from a SAP Backend (i.e. an ABAP function module calls the application and then receives the answer)?

Thank you,

Pietro

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

thank you for your reply.

So, if I'm not mistaken, you suggest me to create my application in order to expose a Web Service to the SAP frontend...

something like this:

1. ABAP calls the Mail Proxy

(SAP Backend) -via WebService-> (JavaEE Mail Proxy) -via IMAP-> (Mail server)

2. Mail Proxy replies to the Backend

(Mail server) ---via IMAP ---> (JavaEE Mail Proxy) ---via JCo RFC ---> (SAP Backend)

Have I understood it right?

Thanks,

Pietro

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are correct...

But when you say

(SAP Backend) -via WebService-> (JavaEE Mail Proxy) -via IMAP-> (Mail server)

In this step....the task of your SAP Backend is to intimate the Java layes that it requires a message...thats it...!

Thus you can modify the "via WebService" part in above chain with some simple JCO Server Programming....

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/09/c88442a07b0e53e10000000a155106/content.htm

http://www.dataxstream.com/2009/07/server-programming-in-jco-part-1/

Former Member
0 Kudos

Saurabh,

thank you for your quick reply. One last thing...

If I'm not mistaken the end product, as I've understood things so far, will be a standard Java application - i.e., a simple JAR; not a web/enterprise application WAR/EAR that has to be deployed to an application server. So this application will have to be launched on an host who has visibility of the mail server and the sap backend. Am I correct?

In order to create such application, all that I need is a simple 'vanilla' Eclipse installation (i.e. I don't need to use SAP Netweaver Development Studio or one of its special project types -- to be more explicit, I don't need to create a Deployable Proxy as it is written in Deployable Web Service Configuration and Usage in SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio (NWDS)). Is that true?

Thank you again for your patience,

I'm new to this kind of programming,

Pietro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes you will not require a NWDS as an IDE......Infact you can use any IDE....

You only have to establish a connection with R/3....using JCO....

Web service you can avoid I guess....

And application in Java can take a form of JAR...or a WAR id depends on how you want your application to be organised and used.....

take it step by step.....

1. First establish a call from R/3 to Java....JCO server side programming.....

2. Now create an application in Java to get that message from outside mail service.....

3. Now return this message back to R/3....JCO client side programming....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good,

so it will be a simple Java application (not a JavaEE one).

It has no meaning to make a WAR... I need something that runs constantly on an host and listens to calls from SAP.

Making a WAR application means that I will have something that is executed only when an HTTP request is catched by the application server on which the WAR is deployed. Am I wrong?

Thank you,

Pietro

Edited by: pietro.m on Jul 5, 2011 12:08 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are correct !