cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.6D to ECC 6.0 upgradtion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All!

I am in a project of upgradtion of 14 Production sites with following specifications.

Current system:

R/3 4.6D

Oracle 9.2.0.6

Database Size: 2TB

Non-unicode

Old tablespace layout

Target system

NW 7.0 ECC 6.0

Oracle 11g

Database Upgration

Database Reorganization

Unicode Conversion

New Tablespace layout

Homogenous migration

I would like to have your opinion, should I Perform all these activities in a single R3LOAD (import/export) session with tens of pre-requisites and preparations of all activities which I think increase complexity or should I go activity to activity. For instance

1)Unicode conversion

2) Database Upgradation, Reorg and Tablespace layout changing

3) R/3 4.6D to ECC 6.0 Upgradation or vise versa

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would highly recommend to investigate thouroughly to do this in a CU&UC approach (do the upgrade and Unicode conversion in one weekend). Many customers made good experiences with this approach.

Main advantage: You need to test your applications only once !

Regarding the sequence:

You need to do the Upgrade before the Unicode conversion, as Unicode is not supported with 4.6C.

Please also have a look at SAP note 1322715.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for feedbacks!

I am finalizing a strategy and it seems like a single CU&UC will do all the activities. As CU&UC approach works with R3Load (export/import) and this will do serve all the purpose. Following are the high-level list of activities and I would to have your comments.

1) Isolated copy of Production system (Backup Restoration) old releases of SAP and DB on a better machine to speed up runtime.

2) Prepare non-Unicode system (SPUMG)

3) Prepare system for Export (database tuning SAP NOTE 933641,upgrading SAP Kernel and R3load versions, system copy guide will be followed)

4) Export Database (Oracle 9.2.0.6 with old tablespace layouts, Database Reorg)

5) Create new Unicode system(NW 7, new muscular machine with Oracle 11g)

6) Import Database (Unicode conversion, *Tablespace layout changing, **Database upgrading 9i to 11g, Database Reorg)

*Manual adjustments in DDLORA.TPL and DBSIZE.XML for layout changing, or it would automatically taken care in CU&UC process?

**Its possible to take an export of Database older release and import it in new release.

7) Do post-conversion activities in the Unicode system (SUMG)

As single export/import is doing all the activities, will it increase the complexity or downtime?

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

in 2) you have to execute SPUM4

And of course you need to do the full upgrade (4.6C > ERP 6.0) in 2A) (between 2. and 3.).

Basically you have to follow a sequential approach - do the upgrade first and then the Unicode conversion.

Best regards,

Nils

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raheel ,

CU & UC has to be done for this.Also your higher level approach isn't very clear .Ideally your upgrade steps should be as follows.

After you have isolated the production system , you should

1) Check if there is an EXT/EXT2 kernel available which supports 11g for 46D.Then migrate to 11g otherwise wait till you upgrade 46D to ECC .Do it later after upgrade.Check SAP note 1398634 .Upgrade 9i to 10g/11g and upgrade your 46D kernel so that it supports 10g/11g database.

2 .Do all the pre-requisites as mentioned in CU&UC for Unicode conversion .Upgrade your 4.6C to ECC 6 level.

3.After that is done ,then export the non Unicode system and import that into a Unicode ECC 6 system.9.(Unicode conversion/System Copy) .

You can't directly import 4.6C data export into an ECC6.0 system by export import/system copy. Also SAP 46D doesn't support 11g but only for upgrade purposes.So please check that also.

Thx

Amit

Edited by: Amit Bangotra on Jul 4, 2011 5:45 PM

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would suggest you below approach:

If you are planning for homogenous migration to migrate it to new server of higher capacity then do it at first instance so that you can have good performance in upgrade and unicode conversion. When you will perform this activity and install target system then install target system on oracle 11g database. As a result you will be able to save one step. If you plan to reorganize as well then homogeneous migration with export/import will reorganize database as well.

Then plan for combine upgrade and unicode conversion. So, you will be able to carry out all activity in 2 steps.

Thanks

Sunny