cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gracefully removing ABAP instance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP experts,

I want to be able to gracefully remove an ABAP application instance server and turn it off without affecting operations in any way. For dialog workprocesses, I can remove the server from all logon groups. After the last user disconnects, it can be safely turned off. But how to do this with BTC and UPD workprocesses?

It would be very time consuming to watch the jobs and hit the exact moment when no job is running. I am guessing there must be a way to disable the instance somehow, so all running jobs finished but no new jobs are started. Is there a way to do this? And can this be automated or scripted, so that we are able to add and remove servers based on load for example?

We are running Netweaver 7 ABAP, powering the ERP system.

Thanks for any pointers.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Vivek. I've checked the SM63, but that is operation modes maintenance. How can I disable background jobs here?

Also, I have found that if I remove the server from all logon groups in SMLG, it is still present in the dafault SPACE group. And because the user can use the SPACE logon group, if he selects it in in SAP Logon for some reason, the user can end up on this server. Is there a way to completely disable the possbility to login to the server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

There are so many methods to do the same. The easy one is to make the application server "passive" (option: deactivate) from transaction SM51. This way, SAP will allow all received requests to this server but prevent new ones from coming to it. keep monitoring SM50 and as soon as all processes are free, you are good to go with the shutdown of the app server.

Cheers!

Javed

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

another option is to use smlg for user sessions, then rz12 for rfc groups, and RZ04 to set batch and update processes to 0. In RZ04, you can click update number and then minus sign until there al no update. that works for update 2's and background too. they use rz03 to force a change to the opp mode (same one) do control--switch opmodes. That will cause it to adjust its numbers, but it will only do it when there is nothing in the process. Just make sure you have updates and batch processes available on another server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

If you are removing it from SMLG the basic load balancing on all WP will be stopped.

The running jobs will complete and no new jobs will run that as Message server will not include that as part of Work process load balancing.

Also you need to go to SM63 and remove capability of application server to process background jobs.

Once there are no jobs and users on system updates will not be there too.

Then later on you can stop the instance.

Regards

Vivek