Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparation activities for EHP4 upgrade in MSCS

former_member556881
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am going to start the EHP4 upgrade on ECC 6 in HA environement.

Can you plese let me know the specific preparation steps to be done before starting the EHP4 upgrade in HA environment.

We are running on windows server 2008.

I went through the EHP4 installation guide.It is mentioned that "disable the cluster fail over capabilities before starting the EHP installation".

In our scenario,

We have CI Node with ASCS and SCS in SAP cluster group and CI installation in local drive.

and DB node with ORA group and DI installation in local drive.

So to disable the automatic cluster fail over capabilities, is it sufficient to move the ORA group on DB node to CI node and pasue the db node in cluster administrator?

Please confirm if I am correct and let me know if there are any other preparation steps to be done in cluster environment for EHP upgrade.

Regards,

Edited by: mutnuru dinakar on Jun 30, 2011 2:47 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Additionally, you can check SAP Note 1012486- Important Information on upgrading SAP Systems in HA-Setups

Thanks

Sunny

former_member556881
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks you all for the information.As suggested,I will move db resoources on to the CI node.I can't move Di resources as it was installed in local drive.

"Disable all cluster services" means..after moving the DB resource on DB node to CI node..should I stop and disable the cluster service in services.msc on DB node?Are there any other services to be disabled on Db node?

And also let me know if there is any option in cluster administrator to disable the automatic fail over cluster facilities?

I have also gone through the note suggested by Sunny.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Once you move all the resources to your CI node, all you have to do is pause the db node.

Dont disable cluster services in services.msc, pausing the node is equivalent to shutting down the node (i.e resources will not failover to other node)

Regards,

SBK

boobboo
Contributor
0 Kudos

It is not sufficient to do that - you MUST move all the resources onto the single node and disable all the cluster services.

You run the application as if it is not part of a cluster - that means starting the database and the SAP application as you would on a normal server.

if you have the cluster running it may suffer an unrelated failure which will cause it to fail over and screw up your upgrade.

I have done several upgrade projects on Windows Clustering and this is the SAP way of running upgrades on Windows HA platforms

Thanks

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>So to disable the automatic cluster fail over capabilities, is it sufficient to move the ORA group on DB node to CI node and pasue the db node in cluster administrator?

This should be OK, as during upgrade your SAP and DB may be restarted and if your cluster is up then it may fail to another node which can cause issue while upgrade.