cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

confused installing eval license

Former Member
0 Kudos

Following the install docs from the readme page on the DVD, and I have Netweaver, the GUI client for Windows, and MaxDB installed. However, I'm confused with this part of the doc for obtaining an eval license:

"The first step is to obtain the Hardware Key. Log into the system with SAP _ALL privleges and click on Administer SAP Licenses."

Where do I do this? Though the UI do they mean as "SAP*" user? When logged in as that user, there is no option in the menu to do anything with licensing.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It must have pre-installed with this license.

That's great. Thanks for all the input with this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was forced to install it with the NSP for the ID, the eval doesn't give you any other option.

I find it odd that they would release an eval without the ability to generate a license. Though there IS "a" license that appears pre-installed with it. I will list its details here:

SID: NSP

Sware Prod: NetWeaver_ADA and Maintenance_ADA

Valid from: 01.05.2011

Valid to: 02.11.2011

Type: Perm

Does this mean it's already licensed? It appears to be a time-set license, maybe pre-installed with it.

If that's the case, then I don't even need to try to get one from the site....maybe they are doing it differently for 7.02?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well, obviously you already have a license....

You don't need to install again.

Anyway, since this is a trial version, the license will of course be limited.

Regards,

Shitij

Former Member
0 Kudos

Worth noting is here is the page that I am requesting the key from:

https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap%28bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==%29/bc/bsp/spn/minisap/minisap.htm

The install documentation says to go to this page to request a key, but this page throws a 404 error:

http://www.sap.com/minisap

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help with this so far.

I selected the only option for 7.02 and MaxDB when requesting the license, and got my new license file. When I try to install it, it says:

"This is system "NSP", but there is a license key for system "NPL" in the license key file."

That is the only option for MaxDB when requesting the eval key.

I tried again to use the "NSP" key that it wants, and it says:

"This system's installation number is "SAP-INTERN", but there is a license key for installation number "DEMOSYSTEM" in the license key file."

So that key doesn't work, either.

These two things are the only options from when requesting the eval key from SAP's website. I am entering it via the "slicense" transaction, after selecting "New license" and the "Install" button at the bottom of the window.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

OK. So as I understand this NSP and NPL are system IDs (SIDs).

If that is the case, were you required to install the system with NPL as the system ID?

Regards,

Shitij

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, thanks....the CLI worked. I think the problem is that since I am completely unfamiliar with SAP products, I didn't understand what a "transaction" was, when it says to run transaction. This is the box at the top of the window, which isn't exactly clear in the documentation.

So I was able to request a new key, but the key that was sent to me has a different installation number (it says "DEMOSYSTEM" instead of "SAP-INTERN") and the "system number" doesn't match. There were no options for this on the form for entering the system info for the key. Is this because I selected the wrong NSP on the license key form? I selected "NSP - NetWeaver 7.02 (MS SQL Server)" as that is the only NSP key for 7.02. There is also a "NPL - SAP NetWeaver 7.02 (MaxDB)" which is what I had thought to select, but from what I had been reading online on the proper thing to select, the demo version you are supposed to select "NSP" and not "NPL". It also makes numerous references to "NSP" through the installation procedure, but no mention of "NPL". Did I select the wrong one for this? It doesn't seem clear.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all, let me clarify I have no idea what this NSP/NPL thing is.

However, you wrote earlier that your database is MaxDB, then you must select the licensekey for Netweaver with MaxDB only and not MSSQL.

Once you get the key, don't worry about the installation number as that gets overwritten by the license so don't think about the inst number.

Once you receive the correct license file, just go to transaction SLICENSE, click on the install button and browse for this license file and this will install the license in the system. In case the install button does not install it, select the New License option and then try to install on the new page.

Regards,

Shitij

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is usually there in their installation guides, but nevermind that.

2 ways to get licensekey:

1. Login to SAP system and run transaction code: SLICENSE. It will show you the HW key.

2. Login to OS level with <sid>adm user and run the command: saplicense -get

This also shows the HW key.

Regards,

Shitij

Former Member
0 Kudos

If it's such a basic question, maybe they should be the command for this in their documentation.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need to install license from slicense transaction. Very basic question, please do some search before posting question here.

Thanks

Sunny