cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy using RMAN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please provide the steps in detail to achieve homogeneous system copy using RMAN.

Source system : RMAN enabled (ECC system)

Target system : RMAN not enabled / configured

Tivoli is used for back & restore.

we are quite familiar of system copy without RMAN. ie : We normally use online consistent backup (.anf) for restore or recovery.

This time we are planning to use RMAN backups from source system.

we have the correct .fnr and .inr backups of source system.

We only need the steps in detail to achieve this.

I came to know outline steps of RMAN restore from the below forum link.

The steps executed by brrecover will be

- restore binary controlfile of the backup

- start temporary instance with the source sid on target system (from target ORACLE_HOME !) to access binary controlfile

- do the restore of level 0 backup utilize the backup information from the binary source controlfile.

- if required: do a restore of an INCR backup

- recover redologs as needed

- rename datafiles and reconfigure SID to fit target system and creat new controlfiles for real target SID

- open db

- Regards

Edited by: on Jun 29, 2011 12:18 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Oracle backups via brbackup do not differ much whether you use RMAN or not. The SAP and Oracle documentation should suffice to perform the system copy. In case that isn't sufficient, then there are good books available on the subject. For example

"RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g - A Problem-Solution Approach" from Apress or similar books.

Do you really expect us to tell you how you should configure your initSID.sap from A-Z?

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am pretty much aware about the system copy process, don't need the configuration on initSID.sap.

however, I would need some basic inputs on how to restore and recover using .fnr and .inr backups from RMAN enabled source system to Target system, where the RMAN is not enabled / configured.

I need inputs only on restore and recovery part.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

My approach would be:

- install Oracle software

- configure target initSID.ora and initSID.sap

- configure integration of backup tool (I am only familiar with how to do that with HP DataProtector)

- startup target instance in NOMOUNT mode

- restore backup session via brrestore

There is not much RMAN specific to this procedure.

Answers (0)