cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VB (update) dispatching control

Former Member
0 Kudos

We want to control the VB processes across a complex environment. SAP System is running with one database instance, m* critical application servers (server a, b, c.. for example) plus another n*non-criticial application servers (server 1, 2 ,3... for example).

For those m*critical application servers, we control the DIA proccess by using logon group / RFC server group, and we do not configure BTC at all. Some VB proccess were setup.

For those n*non-critical, DIA logon group / RFC server group is configured for non-critical application. BTC & VB processes are configured as well.

We want to control the VB dispatching to separate critical & non-critical applications. Suppose DIA on critical servers a,b,c will trigger critical update requests , we only want those critical update to be running on critical application servers, and all those non-critical update will not be dispatched to critical servers as well.

I find parameter rdisp/vb_included_server and want to know whether below configuration is OK for this purpose:

*) On critical servers, rdisp/vb_dispatching = 1 and rdisp/vb_included_server = server a, server b, server c ...

*) On non-critical servers, rdisp/vb_dispatching = 1 and rdisp/vb_included_server = server 1, server 2, server 3...

Is that OK? Any other good suggestion?

Thanks for your recommendation.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I find some helpful information:

SAP Note 116335, 109515

Online help: Distributed Processing of Updates

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/cd/68476b226d46c9a8c489c4cf864ba7/frameset.htm

It seems the easies way to achieve this is to setup the update group. For above case, setup "Critical" group and assign server a, b , c to this group. Leave all other servers to build in "DEFAULT" group. If so, will non-critical server dispatch the VB request to "Critical" group as well?

Makes sense?

TIA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Orkun,

In normal case, V1 stands for critical and V2 stands for non-critical, but in our case, we do not define the priority like this. Like say even in V1 update, some are critical and others are non-critical. They are triggered by the DIA server which has already been seperated.

I also notice rdisp/vb_dispatching & rdisp/vb_included_server should be changed under the permission by SAP.

I find the online which I mentioned above, it says:

In the profile of every SAP instance, you can define how update requests for this instance are processed. The options are as follows:

1) Update requests are distributed across the available update servers (Update Dispatching with Load Distribution).

2) Updates are processed by just one update server (update dispatching deactivated and rdisp/vbname set).

3) Updates are distributed within the update group that belongs to the instance (Configuring Update Groups).

1st one is default, 2nd needs set rdisp/vb_dispatching=0, how to understand 3rd one?

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> 3) Updates are distributed within the update group that belongs to the instance (Configuring Update Groups).

As I noted, in my previous note, it can be configured under SM13 -> Administration -> Server groups.

You can find the information, below;

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e5/de873535cd11d3acb00000e83539c3/frameset.htm

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> *) On critical servers, rdisp/vb_dispatching = 1 and rdisp/vb_included_server = server a, server b, server c ...

>> *) On non-critical servers, rdisp/vb_dispatching = 1 and rdisp/vb_included_server = server 1, server 2, server 3...

Hi Lenovo,

At this stage, I recommend you that you configure V2 non-critical workprocess by "rdisp/wp_no_vb2" and V1 critical workprocess by "rdisp/wp_no_vb" parameters, in the instance profile parameter file.

In your case server a, server b, server c ... will have only V1 updates by "rdisp/wp_no_vb" parameter. At this case, "rdisp/wp_no_vb2" shouldn't be configured on these servers. On the other hand, server 1, server 2, server 3 will have only V2 updates by "rdisp/wp_no_vb2" parameter. At this case, "rdisp/wp_no_vb" shouldn't be configured on these servers.

By doing so, V1 updates will be able to processed on the server that has "rdisp/wp_no_vb" work processes and V2 updates will be able to processed on the server that has "rdisp/wp_no_vb2" .

Additionally, you can create server groups by using SM13 -> Administration, regarding your scenario.

As a last statement, as far as I konw that "rdisp/vb_included_server" parameter shouldn't be changed by the customer, but I am not sure about it.

I hope that I clarified the issue,

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Edited by: Orkun Gedik on Jun 29, 2011 9:02 AM