cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"startsap" command failed after Oracle 11 upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have upgraded to Oracle 11 and it was successful. However, SAP & DB could not start after command "startsap" is executed.

It has to be started up manually in this sequence -> start db using SQL, then only start sap using "startsap" command.

When I start oracle using SQL, I had this error ORA-32004: obsolete or deprecated parameter(s) specified for RDBMS instance. Trace file shows parameter remote_os_login as the deprecated parameter. However, if its removed, SAP could not start at all. Based on note 1431798, it has to be set for Linux.

Anybody has similar issues?

Hope to hear from all of you...

Thanks,

Azir

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Azir,

please check if you did step 5.12 from the upgrade guide '5.12Updating the SQL*Net Configuration Files for the <sapsid>adm and ora<sid> Users'.

Kind regards,

Gerd

nikolay_kumanov
Explorer
0 Kudos

I seem to remember having a similar issue on my first upgrades a year ago. Removing the LOCAL_LISTENER database parameter fixed it. Since September 2010 SAP also recommends to remove it - Note 1431798

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are on AIX,

you missed at some point to run slibclean, or you have a command executed from the old environment

that reloads a shared lib belonging to the old ORACLE_HOME AFTER slibclean got executed.

When this happens, the lib from release 11 does not get loaded correcly and the start fails.

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikolay,

It works when I removed "Local Listener" from profile. Thanks a lot...this resolve my error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

in which profile have you changed ?

Regards,

Nikunj Thaker

Former Member
0 Kudos

chang ur pfile..removed the "LOCAL_LISTENER" parameter..

Former Member
0 Kudos

which profile?

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We faced similer issued when we upgraded db to 11.

Parameter *.remote_os_authent set to TRUE . Since spfile being used it has to be done via brtools or the spfile needs to be re-generated at least.

I changed the parameter with brtools and restarted the database again and it worked.

Regards,

P

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

The parameter "*.remote_os_authent " is set to TRUE.it was never changed and was set during the upgrade.

However, still could not start SAP using "STARTSAP".

Former Member
0 Kudos

can be paste exact error your are getting in trans.log?

Run R3trans -d with sidadm and you will get above log in current directory.

Create pfile from spfile from sqlplus

>create pfile from spfile;

and check parameter value.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just set the parameter "REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT=FALSE" in your SPFILE then restart the database.

alter system set REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT=FALSE scope=SPFILE;

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun Gedik,

By doing this, SAP would not start at all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Ok, at this stage I have couple of questions;

- what is your kernel version?

- what error exactly your are getting, when you set "REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT=FALSE" while starting up the SAP instance?

- could you provide trans.log file of "R3trans -xd", when you set "REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT=FALSE"?

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai.....

From the above we can understand that there is some problem with post Up-gradation steps, Please recheck it again.

any how first check up the

Finalizing the Environment of the ora<dbsid> User

&

Finalizing the Environment of the <sid>adm User

you can get installation document from

http://service.sap.com/instguides - > Database Upgrades -> Oracle

Revert if still persists

KHS

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you are directly issuing a Startsap command , what is the output ?

Are you seeing anything in the sapstart log file ?

Rishi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The error would be DB not running. Then, I have to start DB seperately using SQL, from there only can start SAP using "startsap" command.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the environment of the sidadm user, you have to change all ocurences of the old oracle home.

When I start oracle using SQL, I had this error ORA-32004: obsolete or deprecated parameter(s) specified for RDBMS ...

Anybody has similar issues?

Yep, you will have to keep remote_os_login, just ignore that error.

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The environment is ok. its all set -reffering to the new oracle path.

Thanks,

Azir