cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB can't start, dbmcli hangs while db_online

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey people, i create this thread in order to get some help due a DB crash while doing an automated backup which failed. The main problem is when i do db_online which its triggers up to the Utility process and then it starts to increase the wait counter (watched by active tasks). If i do db_admin the db starts and returns me the prompt control but not with db_online (or any command which involves doing admin tasks with the database).

Before that i've added a volume because the state of mostly of the tasks were db_full, after that the db_full state dissapeared but it stills hangs me the engine.

Fuhermore, i've told the operator to restore a working backup and it returns "size limit" which i'll research the monday.

I can paste the whole logs from the /wrk folder.

I appreaciate the help since it's a production db and the app is down since June 13th

Regards.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Natalia, thanks for the help.

Tomorrow i'll be able to run those commands, but for now i can give you the MaxDB version according the RPM packages, and how the backup is restored.

Those are the packages installed on the production server running Mandrake 9.2

libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm

maxdb-ind-7.5.0.16-1.i386.rpm

maxdb-srv75-7.5.0.16-1.i386.rpm

maxdb-callif-7.5.0.16-1.i386.rpm

maxdb-scriptif-7.5.0.16-1.i386.rpm

maxdb-web-7.5.0.16-1.i386.rpm

The directories are:

/homeDB_SAP/DB -> Data Base

/home/DB_SAP/LOG -> Log

/var/FTP -> Last backup restored from tape backup (another server)

Where the / has 10GB and /home has 44 GB

Restoring last version from backup:

After untar run... (where JOHNSONS is the name of the DB instance, using default user and pass)

/opt/sdb/programs/bin/dbmcli -u dbm,dbm -uUTL -d JOHNSONS db_activate RECOVER JC DATA

After that:

/opt/sdb/programs/bin/dbmcli -u dbm,dbm -d JOHNSONS db_restart

Then:

/opt/sdb/programs/bin/dbmcli -u dbm,dbm -d JOHNSONS db_online

Finally we reload the system tables:

/opt/sdb/programs/bin/dbmcli -u dbm,dbm -uUTL -d JOHNSONS load_systab -u dba,JUANCHO -ud JUANCHO

Then the operator shows some screen caps of WebDBM, if you need those steps i can upload the images.

The problem is that, somewhere, in the middle of those comands maxdb returns Size Limit error. Take account that i didn't run those commands personally, some employee did and he only runs that when some restoring is necesary.

My experience was with the current DB which first said db_full on the activities, and after added another volume the Utility task started to create a lot of Wait pages and never got the prompt control again.

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Edited by: El_Tate on Jun 30, 2011 9:59 PM

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

1. What is the version of the database?

Post output of the commands:

sdbregview -l

dbmcli db_enum

dbmcli inst_enum

2. If you are SAP customer => I recommend you to create the SAP message and get SAP support.

3. "Fuhermore, i've told the operator to restore a working backup and it returns "size limit" which i'll research the monday."

Is it MAXDB databackup or OS FS backup you are researching?

Regards, Natalia Khlopina