cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking to a document on an external server...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts... I am new to the sdn community, so before lambasting me for not searching, here is my predictament. I have created a DIR using CV01n with a new Document Type I have defined. I am able to upload the original document either via the create button or via the "open original" button, where I can easily see all the drives that my computer is linked to. When I try to "check in" a document, I see the options as defined from SPRO in the "Settings for Storage Systems" section, but again what I am trying to define is an "external Server addy" so the documents are not on the SAP server. I defined a "Filesystem" as storage category, but am not sure of the options I should use for "Maintaining the Storage System" since based on the selection of "Storage Type" whether HTTP content server or Structure Storage System, or Logical repository decides how the rest of your screen looks for further selection. Bottom line is can somebody point me to the best selections for an external document storage? I did not select "use Kpro" for this document type. Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pradeep,

Yes my users are over a 10 state area geographically, with u201Cpotentialu201D handheld access to the documents that would be attached to functional locations and equipments using the CV0*N access. They would have no need to u201Ccheckout/checkinu201D documents in the field, but would need view access or print access from their field device via a work order wrote against the equipment or F.L. to which the documents would be attached. I envision a separate small group of users that would actually u201Cmanageu201D the documents themselves such as u201Ccheck out/update/check back inu201D to the separate server location where the file(s) are located.

I understand in principle (I think) the DMS storage, but again, if I select u201Ckprou201D (currently unselected for my document type) you make the following comments: u201C2. 'kPro Storage' option (may store in SAP DB,HTTP Content Server), herein you can store 'n' originals/documents and 'n' additional files, AND

HTTP content server You may either use the SAP Content Server or an external/third-party content server.Typically, content server is opted for when operating in a distributed environment(users accessing from several locations)/index based search is needed/n:n mapping scenario exists.

Logical repository

This storage type allows access to different physical repositories, independently of the client and the system ID.u201D

So based on these comments, are you saying I should select u201CKprou201D for my particular document type and that I should define the external server as either an u201CHTTP content serveru201D or either a u201Clogical repositoryu201D? If yes, then as I commented in my 1st ask, please advise how u201CI should use for "Maintaining the Storage System" since based on the selection of "Storage Type" whether HTTP content server or Structure Storage System, or Logical repository decides how the rest of your screen looks for further selection.u201D Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Based on your inputs,IMO, a separate content server setup with kPro storage option would be apt.You may as well opt for installation of SAP content server available on SAP marketplace alongwith detailed technical,installation documentation for existing customers.Your Basis folks would configure it for you post content server sizing(search previous threads).Ensure that this content server is located in close proximity to your user group responsible for managing the docs.

You may review the scenario and take a call on cache server(again search previous threads) installation for other users who would be restricted to just viewing the documents.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

Former Member
0 Kudos

NOTE:

HTTP content server

You may either use the SAP Content Server or an external/third-party content server.Typically, content server is opted for when operating in a distributed environment(users accessing from several locations)/index based search is needed/n:n mapping scenario exists.

SAP database

This option is used only in test/demo environment.Not recommended when extensive DMS usage is foreseen.

RFC storage system

RFC is used for storing documents in the context of SAP ArchiveLink, the Archive Development Kit (ADK), or an application that uses SAP ArchiveLink.

Logical repository

This storage type allows access to different physical repositories, independently of the client and the system ID.

Structure repository

The structure repository is only used in the SAP Knowledge Warehouse environment.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jerry,

Your requirements would have to be investigated in detail to arrive at an more optimal solution. Are your users geographically dispersed? What is the nature of activities they are expected to perform on the documents? Usage pattern - LAN/WAN etc??

The typical storage options in DMS are:

1. 'DMS Storage' option(may store in SAP DB,Vault,RFC Archive), herein you can store upto 2 originals/documents and 99 additional files.

2. 'kPro Storage' option(may store in SAP DB,HTTP Content Server), herein you can store 'n' originals/documents and 'n' additional files

Hope these inputs will help you refine your storage requirements more clearly.

Regards,