Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI's reliability

sunilachyut
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

This is not a question but more of opinions of you experts. I have in SAP since quite sometime and switched gears to XI and I should say the experience has been pathetic. Our development servers are down most of the time, and everytime we have to call basis to restart the server, and in another a day or so it goes down again.

I would appreciate if you guys can share how your experiences have been with XI.

Thanks

Sunil Achyut

Message was edited by: Sunil Achyut

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>>basis to restart the server, and in another a day or so it goes down again

this is probably due to wrong/not complete

installation/configuration

this does not happen when the system is

configured properly

>>>>Our basis team is best in the industry

usually this team does the installation/configuration

so maybe you just need check an other team (external)

that has experience not only with abap stack

but also with java stack...which is much more important

with the XI

Regards,

michal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

"Our basis team is best in the industry"

How's that then - have they won some sort of competition proving this against other Basis consultants or is this just their opinion ?

XI is probably unreliable as they haven't installed it properly is my guess. I would get a second opinion about the comment "Our basis team is best in the industry".

We are running in Production with about 5,000 messages a day with no issues at all.

XI is very reliable.

sunilachyut
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Michal and Colin. My intention was to look at other implementations and see if the issues we have are common or unique to our implementation. Please do not misunderstand me when I said our basis is best, my interaction with them made me make that statement.

Thanks

Sunil Achyut

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

I was only "pulling you leg" regarding this.

On XI reliability I would say the problems are unique to uoir installation and I would get Basis to check out the tuning guide for XI and also the installation has been done correctly.

Kind regards

Colin.

sunilachyut
Contributor
0 Kudos

After an exhaustive research on our XI installation which included consultants from SAP the following were the conclusions:

1) No BPMs for synchronous processing

2) Seems like SAP is coming with a whole new approach for BPM in their new service pack.

3) Installation was good, am hoping if consultants from SAP says its good it should be.

My objective is re-opening this thread is to understand the whole picture, for me now I would think twice before suggesting XI for any new project. Hope by re-opening am not starting an arguement but instead a discussion.

Sunil Achyut

former_member431549
Contributor
0 Kudos

What do you mean by #1 ? You have no BPMs with synch calls, or SAP recommends no BPMs with synch calls ? BPMs and synch calls are to be avoided whenever possible, but we made the mistake of using too many of both.

BPM processing performance is supposed to get much better in SPS18.

Installation may be ok, but is it tuned for your message load ? Did SAP really study it for a extended period under load ?

sunilachyut
Contributor
0 Kudos

Tim

There are very few (around 10 or so with message frequency of around 10-20 messages a day for each scenario) where we have used BPM for synchronous processing. Though not suggested it was the assumption that few messages should not impact that much. In the study it was concluded that we have to take out these completely which for me is a bit difficult to understand. For some of the sync (without BPMs) they have suggested to use proxies where possible.

Its my understanding that the study included the tuning part and was satisfactory.

Sunil Achyut

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just complementing,

R/3 Basis and NetWeaver Basis need some common WAS ABAP knowledge but regarding WAS Java it's a completely new information. So, if your Basis team is not fully trained to Netweaver specifically, they'll not be able to do a proper job.

Also, there're a lot of functionalities regarding XI WAS ABAP which are uniquely designed for XI (specially BPE functionalities). So, you do need a Netweaver Basis team and not just a Basis team.

Our manager likes to joke saying that there are no NetWeaver Basis consultants on the market. Just some wanna-bes. 😛

Regards,

Henrique.