cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA and Unicode requirement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not yet an expert in HANA so on reading documentation.

I have not found any reference to Unicode requirement in this forum..

Even if in my company we are up to date on Release level ECC 6 (for some of our SAP landscapes) they have been upgraded overtime. For some of them we have never done a Unicode database conversion.

I have seen a document on the web (link) where it says :

SAP HANA can work with SAP R/3® starting from release 4.7.

This is because UNICODE, which is required by Sybase Replication Server, became available with release 4.7.

Does it mean that a UNICODE conversion is MANDATORY if we want to plug-in HANA on an existing SAP system ?

Or is it the standard issue to lose some characters ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

The information can be found in SAP note 1513496:

Excerpt:

When using Sybase Replication Server to replicate operational data, the

source data needs to be in Unicode.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

Vitaliy-R
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

What we know so far (and are waiting for detailed documentation as well) is:

1/ If you want to connect SAP Business Suite application (like ERP) to SAP HANA database using replication based on Sybase Replication Server - Business Suite application has to be Unicode

2/ If you want to connect SAP Business Suite application (like ERP) to SAP HANA database using replication based on triggers (SLT tool) - there is no requirement for the source system to be Unicode

3/ If you want to do DB migration of your BW in the future from its current RDBMS to HANA database - BW has to be Unicode.

Cheers,

-Vitaliy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for this quick feedback ... let's wait more detailed document from SAP

As HANA is now GA we should be able to find soon "SAP Stamped" type of information.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

since the SLT replication is the one replication that comes with the GA version of HANA, you can safely stick to part 2 of Vitalys reply.

regards,

Lars