cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clarification in charm for daily transports

0 Kudos

Dear Charm Experts,

We have configured charm in our test system and have few calrifications. Please help.

Objective: to use charm for transport management of regular corrections for support and maintenance of system (no implementation or upgrade)

So now we have configured and testing the workflow. Part of it i am successful able to create change request from dswp, approve and set to in development and also able to create transport request from change request.

Now i am unable to release the transport request, getting the following error.

"Action 'Regular Correction: Release Transport Request' cannot be

executed during phase 'Development without Release'"

My understanding is i can not release the request as the maintenance cycle status is in development. So to release the tr of change request i need to also set the status of maintenance cycle.

If this is the case then do i need to create a maintenance cycle for each change we need in our landscape? or how i can create and implement the chages using charm just like Remedy. Hope you understood my concern, please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

One maintenance cycle is sufficient for entire landscape which is having one to one relationship with your maintenance project

you can set the status to In development with release so that

you can create

and you can release request too

remember this is done at project level so for entire project their is only one phase as per project specified in maintenance cycle

for more info check here about phases and working

/people/dolores.correa/blog/2008/07/26/first-steps-to-work-with-change-request-management-scenario

/people/dolores.correa/blog/2009/07/23/change-request-management-scenario-working-examples

Hope it clarifies all doubt

regards

prakhar

Edited by: Prakhar Saxena on Jun 23, 2011 10:23 AM

0 Kudos

Hi Prabhakar,

Thank you for the reply, i have gone through the links already. I am still not able to get it, let me elaborate more.

I have created a maintenance project and maintenance cycle for it and set to development without release. Then created a change request but unable to test this request because it is checking for maintenance cycle status, now if i change the mc status i can import the rquest for testing and in order to move the transport to production i need to set the mc status to golive then it will import all the transport of that project.

Now my question is, we create many change requests daily if a change request status is dependent on mc status how i can handle multiple change requests, does that mean i have to create a mutiple mc for multiple cr? in support project many request comes.

To handle this do i need to create a indicidual mc for each cr because cr is dependent on mc status? or let me know if we can achieve with different scenario.

Thank you for the time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess, if i correctly understtand your prb, you are stcuk in flow of NCR.

if the MC is in status "Deve w/o release" your change doc "In developemnet", at this time you can only create the TR and do the develpment activity.

at once you set the MC as "Develp wit release" and your cr in "In development", you can release ur TR task,if you trigger action test transport, Then ToC s created, and import into test system, you can go for all testing, if any correction needed, do that in again in Dev system,release te new task , triger action again test import,ToC created, test it in test system.

Once development done, trigger the action Release Transport Order, nw change doc "Complete developement".

later you can move MC phase "test", CR as "To be tested", in this case corrections reparied by using test messages for create tr and import it.

So please set the phase of your MC as Develp wit release and proceed.

Thanks,

Jansi

0 Kudos

Hi Jansi,

Yes you are close to it. I have done as you suggested now i am able to create toc release test, and change the status to testing completed as i am also changing the mc status.

questions:

1. inorder to import the change request to production i set the status to production and maitenace cycle status to Go-live then import from the task list to production?

2. If so now Maintenance cycle status is Go-Live then how i am now able to create another change request for the same project?

3. Can we set the maintenance cycle status to go-live and leave it there and create as many crs as possible and import them to production as a normal tool?

4. If each change reqquest is dependent on maintenance cycle status to move the changes then do i need to create a maintenance cycle every time i create cr?

Thank you very much for the help.

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I think you need to understand there are 2 types of changes

NC which goes as per phase of project or maintenance cycle

UC which goes independently

So you can use UC if you don't want to go with phase wise and it is UC which is required in less time

hope it helps

regards

Prakhar

0 Kudos

Thank you,

So should i use only UC?

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Yes you can why not

based upon the scenario you can choose what is best for you or your client requirement to use only1 or both types

Hope it clarifies

regards

prakhar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Thank you. Gonna use uc.