Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REQUIRED_FIELDS in DM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

have some small doubts.

1. How to use of REQUIRED_FIELDS function in validations, example pls

2. Can I do validations while importing from excel, flat etc. If yes, how will the exceptions be handled.

rgds,

ve.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Veena,

Please see my comments below:

1. How to use of REQUIRED_FIELDS function in validations, example pls

==> To use REQUIRED_FIELDS function, you have to follow two step process as below:

Step 1) Open MDM Console. Select the appropriate table for example "Products". Whatever fields you want user to always maintain value (example Product Number, Description), Mark the property "Required" to "yes" for these fields.

Step 2) Open Data Manager product table. create a new Validation and manually type "REQUIRED_FIELDS" in the expression editor or validation. This way when you execute validation, it will fail for records which do not have values maintained in fields marked as Required = Yes in Console.

2. Can I do validations while importing from excel, flat etc. If yes, how will the exceptions be handled.

I don't feel you can write Validation while importing from Excel, flat etc. But you can define a workflow with trigger as "Record Import". In this workflow you can call your validation to validate the imported records. You can design next steps of the workflow and can define how exceptions should be handled.

Kindly revert if you have any more question

-Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shiv, thanks for the quick reply.

1. Does this mean that the REQUIRED FIELD = YES/NO(in console) makes sense only with validation (REQUIRED_FIELDS function)

otherwise has no functionality.

ex.

Lets say my field description has (required field = yes), so if I import from a flat file which has null description, will my import fail?

also I have tried creating a validation(Req_validation), typed manually "REQUIRED_FIELDS" in the empty

expression editor.

when I run this validation, it gives me an FALSE in either cases, i.e when I maintain the values in the required field also the validation fails....pls help..... am i doing anything wrong

Rgds,

ve

Edited by: veena sexana on Jun 23, 2011 8:51 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veena,

Yes Required property in console works only when u write validation in Data manager.

REQUIRED_FIELDS validation does not work if your required field is also a Display field

You need to write addition condition along with REQUIRED_FIELDS ( its a work around which I always implemet for display fields)

When you try to create record without entering data in display field, MDM will add default value "New Item" if field lengh is equal to or more than 8 ( or "New It" if legth is 6 for example)

So copy the value which you will get in ur display field and use it as shown below:-

REQUIRED_FIELDS AND Name < >"New Item" (Here Name is considered as display field)

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks & Reagrds,

Mahi

Answers (0)