cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Recovery Question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Oracle Experts;

I am a part/time Basis/Oracle/sql server/db2/mysql ............so sorry for the novice question......

I have just completed copying a SAP instance using the Oracle copy method. About 80 redo logs were generated after copying all the datafiles from the source to our destination server. When all the datafiles were copied over I did a alter system switch logfile to flush out the last of the redo data from the log_buffer. I than tried to recover the database by using:

Sqlplus u201C/as sysdbau201D

Startup mount

Set echo on

Recover database using backup controlfile until u2018time of last archive log you want to applyu2019; format for time is yyyy-mm-dd:hh:mm:ss.

Could not get this to work, I also tried:

Sqlplus u201C/as sysdbau201D

Startup mount

Set echo on

RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL TIME u20182008-11-27:11:00:00u2019 USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE

This also did not work:

I than tried

sqlplus u201C/as sysdbau201D

startup mount

set echo on

RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE

AUTO

This went through all 80 redo logs............... every time it came to a redo log it just stated redo log not needed for recovery and went to the next one.......

After it completed I disconnected

sqlplus u201C/as sysdbau201D

Startup mount

Alter database open resetlogs

and the database opened

Can someone in plain english explain why RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE

worked????

Thanks for your time today

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can someone in plain english explain why RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE
worked????

RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE

The above command is used to perform Media Recovery of Oracle DB using Offline Redo Log Files.

Another kind of recovery is there Instance Recovery which is done by SMON process by processing ONLINE redo log files at the time of Oracle DB Instance startup.

The above command will process all the available & required offline redo log files (located at /oracle/<SID>/oraarch location) to perform Recovery. It will be called Point-in-Time Recovery. This command will check for required sequence number in all the available & required offline redo log files and will apply or ignore them based on the recovery. This command will stop the Media Recovery process when the next consecutive offline redo log file cannot be found (with AUTO) or (without AUTO) the recovery is stopped with cancel.

In you case you have processed the above command with AUTO option, so it worked as explained above.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pellegrino,

What error exactly you faced after you executed "RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL TIME u20182008-11-27:11:00:00u2019 USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE" statement?

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Orkun

Thank you for your reply I kept getting an error stating that it did not reconize the UNTIL statement. I must have changed the format about 5 times and still kept gettting the same error.

Thank you