cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Update stopped all SP12 instances

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Today we've experienced quite strange problem: after installing security updates for Windows2003, all our installations failed to start:

JLaunch.exe is "stopped", developer trace contains:

[Thr 2144] Wed Aug 16 13:16:04 2006

[Thr 2144] *** ERROR => invalid return code of process [bootstrap_ID9399450] (exitcode=-2) [jstartxx.c 1452]

[Thr 2144] JControlExecuteBootstrap: error executing bootstrap node [bootstrap_ID9399450] (rc=-2)

[Thr 2144] JControlCloseProgram: started (exitcode = -2)

[Thr 2144] JControlCloseProgram: good bye... (exitcode=-2)

I'm pretty sure that reason for the problems were the updates - all servers were working before "install and restart Windows" for the MS updates. All systems refuse to start afterwards. And we were able to restore SAP instances only by uninstalling last 6 security updates.

Does anyone know what was in the updates, that could so affect SAP WAS?

Thanks for any hints!

Best regards,

Nick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try the following,

1. Expand the Virtual Memory space of the System.

2. In the config tool, modify the heap size and set -Xms and -Xmx values accordingly.

Regards

Srinivasan T

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srinivasan,

The server has 4GB RAM and VM is set to max (up to ~7.5GB).

In the config tool I've increased heap, ms, mx sizes to 1GB (previously was set to 512MB), but it had no effect.

Best regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Go to the configtool, cluster-data -> Global server configuration -> services -> classpath_resolver. In the right pane click on the key javac.Xmx and insert either 512 / 1024. Click Set button in the upper right corner.

Choose from the Menu File->Apply and confirm all windows popping up. Restart the J2EE instance.

Also check the Java version is 1.4_x.

Regards

Srinivasan T

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srinivasan,

this doesn't help - absolutely the same behavior.

We have 2 servers (3 J2EE instances with different configuration). Both Windows were configured to apply security patches automatically and restart machine, if necessary. After restart - ALL instances of J2EE were down.

Uninstall of the security patches cured one of the servers (second I left down - in case someone will find solution, as it's dangerous to leave Windows unpatched)

JDK1.4.2_08 - both J2EE engine were up last 6-12 months, no change in configuration.

I'm almost sure the problem has nothing to do with Java or J2EE configuration. My suspicion are:

- may be security patches have closed some of the ports, used by J2EE Engine (no Windows/custom Firewall enabled)?

- may be some common DLLs were updated, and new one are not compatible with SAP?

Best regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

have you opened an OSS message on this issue?

Regards

Sebastian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

no - I don't have access to OSS.

Best regards,

Nick

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

i misundertood your post .please post all the logs that end with .out(work directory) ,looks like a JVM memory issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

here is a know issue with SDM where you get an error in phase deploy online , the logs do not say anything about the error . to solve the isssue pause the installation before this phase and change the mode to automatic and integrated (note 795142) . if u do this after you get the errror it does not work . make sure you do it before the deploy online phase .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're talking about.

I've been speaking about systems, which were installed long ago and there is no [to my understanding] SDM deployments at all - neither online nor offline.

Is SDM involved in startup process of JLaunch?

Best regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Was one of them MS security patch KB921883 / MS06-40? If so the information of may be helpful.

Regards, Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

yes, one of the updates was KB921883.

I'll try to follow the mentioned thread! Thank you!

Best regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

I have come across a few more examples in last couple of days where this exact issue was resolved KB924054 after KB921883 due to address space fragmentation caused. I expect that this will resolve. The German version of SAP note #664607 has been updated so I assume the English version will be shortly also.

Kind Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Thanks everyone for helping - our problems were caused exactly by the KB921883 update!

Due to the fact that fix for the update is not public available (one should contact MS to get the update) - I just uninstalled this one and the servers run now.

I'll be waiting for the official update for update (promised by MS) to close the thread.

Best regards,

Nick