cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deadline Monitoring

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi QM'ers.

Our business wants to start using batch status managment and have the ability to block batches that have expired. Problem is I cannot seem to get QA07 to do anything for me... I just get the dreaded "No batches have been found for processing"

I have some test data setup:

Material with QM view, Inspection type 09 with material spec, Inspection interval is 10 days.

I have set up a simple material spec

I have recieved some batches that had a short shelf life and have now expired.

I run QA07 with the "Block batch" setting to change the batch status and ..... nothing happens "No batches have been found for processing"

Where am I going wrong here?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) batcehs must be in unrestricted stock.

2) inspection interval has no impact on moving batches to blocked stock, (or restricted status). It controlls the next inspection date of the batch which of course is not related to the batch expiration date. Shelf life value in the material master controls the expiration date usually, or it's enterred at time of the goods receipt.

If a batch gets an inspection lot created as a reult of the next inspection date, it is moved to QI and hence not in unrestricted and the batch will not be restricted.

I usuallly set up QA07 to run in two different batch jobs. The first jobs runs QA07 just to block/restrict batches.

The second job just to create inspection lots.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply FF

I was not actually aware that the 2 features are exclusive so that was helpful.

All I'm really interested in is blocking the batches, i.e. restrcting the batch if it has expired... so I guess I don't need to bother with inspection types and material specs and stuff, is that correct?

I would be greatful if you could check my understanding and help me define the correct settings for QA07.

Batch status management must be active

I need to have a min rem shelf life on my Material

I need to have batches in unrestricted stock with expiry dates in the past

If this is correct what do I need to set in QA07 to simply restrict batch statuses upon expiry?

many thanks

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

igor_mihailisin
Explorer
0 Kudos

A further condition is that there are no open physical inventory documents on the batch (MCHB-SPERC must be BLANK )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mihailisin,

Thanks so much. Your answer resolved my problem. It was "A" in my case.

Thanks again.

krishnamurty_madduri
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For Deadline monitoring in QA07, you should have:

Batch management active

Mfg date for the batches must be populated

As mentioned in the earlier replies, QA07 does two steps: One for blocking expired batches and the other for creating inspn lots for batches that are nearing retest date (retest period is populated in QM View of material master)

Pl. check and then run QA07. You'll find the expired batches in Blocked stock and batches due for retest in Inspn stock with Inspn lots created. Regards, KrishnaM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Krish.

You say "Mfg date for the batches must be populated" ... I have not read this in the help anywhere, and my batches do not have manufacturing date populated, only shelf life expiry date... are you saying both must be populated? why?

Unoiretunately I still cannot get this to work in QA07 ... no batches are selected There must be something simple I am missing here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok problem solved... I think I was testing with a duff batch which was not actually expired ... (user error )

Anyway for anyone interested, I have discovered the following.

Mfg date is not important or a required entry, sorry Krish.

Inspection type 09 is required on the MM.

Inspection interval is not required on the MM if you simply want to restrict the batch status.

No inspection plan or material spec is required if you simply want to restrict the batch status.

krishnamurty_madduri
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

When Batch Management is active, the system will obviously ask for Mfg date. Otherwise how will it know when the material is getting expired or reaching retest date ? It is a required field during MIGO, which is generally done by the Receiving (WH) dept. Hence it is not seen by QM personnel. Regards, KrishnaM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Erm Sorry Krish, but that is not how everyone works...

I am working with purchased product, we do not know the date of manufacture, it is not a required field in MIGO, we are simply supplied with an expiry date for the batches from our vendor and we enter this during goods receipt. Therefore in our environment mfg date is not required.

I wanted to point this out for anyone else reading this thread for answers, since I believe your answer was missleading... It may be applicable for your setup of SAP, but it is not for ours.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Usualluy, if you specify a shelf life for a material, then expiration date becomes a required field.

SAP usually handles this for internally produced materials by requiring a production date (manufacturing date), to be enterred. (as Krish indicates).

But if you procure a material externally, the system only requires that the expiration date be enterred. If the expiration date is not enterred, I beleive youi will find that SAP will use the current date to calculate the expriation date using the shelf life value.

So you are both correct. There is a different process depending if you are buying or producing and SAP MIGO performs differently.

Also, be advised, that as you found out you need to have the 09 inspection type activated for QA07 to work. However, if you don't tyically use QM for inspections and you activate the 09 just to usse QA07, you have basically acitvated QM for everything for that material. I.e you will no longer be able to use standard material movements to move stock in and out of QI. You will have to use inspsection lots and set up the relevant inspection lots.

FF