cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File to custom IDOC or File to abap proxy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I would like to know best approach for the following scenario.

1) i have file coming from legacy system

2) On target side SAP , I have BAPI's available (Create, Save, Commit )(No standard IDOC available)

I can create Custom IDOC and call those BAPI's in Custom Function Module

or

I can use ABAP proxy and call BAPI's

What is the best way of doing this? and Is there any other way?

Thanks

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

Proxy is the better approach for performance point of view. In your case there is no standard idoc available so instead of developing the custom BAPI you can go for proxy.

For BAPI and Proxy you need to write the code so if you use the proxy performancewise (bcz there is no conversion is required, PI IE directly interacts the ECC IE) is better.

Regards,

Venkata Ramesh

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your requirement is valid usecase for proxy, idoc doesn't fits here. Alternate option is to use File to RFC.

Pros (proxy):

- Simple and straight-forward development

- Better performance (bypass AE in case of RFC)

- Freedom of handling code separatly without changing interface

Regards,

Gourav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi KuPatel_PI ,

File to Proxy is the best approach,

Incase of Idoc you have to first create Custom Idoc and then Process goes on..

But in case of Proxy you can directly write a Piece of code in Server Proxy(Calling RFC).

I think this is the better way .

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Abap Proxy is better than RFC in terms of performance.

proxy is that it always by passes the Adapter Engine and will directly interact with the application system and Integration engine - so it will and should give us a better performance.

In your case , if there want to crate idoc from scratch level then we go for proxy and proxy support large volume of data (more than 5 mb).

One more reason is RFC , the data is converted between RFC and XML in RFC adapter. In proxy XI communicates with the R/3 in native XI language (SOAP XML).

Former Member
0 Kudos

In Idoc the messages get posted individually hence error raised in one message will not impact processing for other message and easy to monitor for the error/ failure. where as in Proxy, if we are trying to post all the message in one go, if the error raised in one message will stop processing for other messages too.

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/08/14/choose-the-right-adapter-to-integrate-with-sap-systems

read thru this.

Base your design on the advantages you might get through the different use cases.

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>I can use ABAP proxy and call BAPI's

If your interface will have large volume of messages then I would certainly recommend abap proxy to call your BAPIs. Because proxy is better in performance than Idocs.

If your interface does not have more volume messages and if you think custom idoc will be very simpler for calling BAPIs then go for custom idocs. When you create custom idocs, you can limit to required number of fields in idoc and make it light for usage.