cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial number profile without equipment category assignment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am trying to create a serial number profile without an equipment category assignment.

The system creates the serial number (e.g. after goods issue) but also does an entry in table EQUI.

It takes the next available number of an existing equipment category (number range).

Is it possible to use serial numbers without creating any equipment master (table EQUI)?

Any ideas?

Reason for this requirement: our customer wants to store the serial numbers already now, but does not yet have service in place - this will be implemented at a later point of tiime. And therefore we do not know how the equipment category should look like...

Best Regards,

Philipp

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for this hint.

Unfortunately it did not solve my issue, but it explains why the system is behaving like this. BR, Philipp

Former Member
0 Kudos

This calls for a customized solution, we have a system in place where we have maintained a custom table with delivery and the serial numbers. We have given an option of extra field to the customer to input serial numbers in the delivery transaction, these fields were added as extra fields by adding a new tab.

user was required to generate the serial numbers from the standard serial number screen, then copy those numbers and put them in the custom serial number tab. However he had to remove the serial numbers generated in the actual serial number tab. This way we had kept a track of serial numbers created, but it did not generate equipmen in anyways.

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

Yes as you said system will create the equipment number in the table EQUI, you cannot prevent the same

regards

thyagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thyagarajan,

thanks for your quick response.

Well, what I am wondering then is, how does the system know which number range it should take for the EQUI entry?

It generated an entry in the EQUI with the numbering of an existing number range. 100414881

But, the equipment category is not set in the serial number profile?!

BR,

Phil

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

i think there is an entry in Define Default Equipment Categories for Serial Numbers

also from sap help

Note

If you create master records for serial numbers manually the system

automatically proposes the default equipment categories

defined here. The internal number range of the equipment category you

selected is copied automatically.

If a category is not specified here, the serial number is given a

default value specified in a table.

regards

thyagarajan