Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standby Database recover, after shutdown abort

former_member199632
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Our standby database is in mount state.

Normally, We are shutting down the database using 'SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE' command.

But... mistakenly we have provide the SHUTDOWN command.

So it taking long time. It took 3 hrs . but not shutdown yet.

therefore, we have used 'SHUTDOWN ABORT'

Now i want to startup the database back.

Please let me know , what are the steps to follow?

(I want to get the database to MOUNT state)

Normally we are using these 2 commands;

startup nomount;

alter database mount standby database;

Do we need to perform a recovery? (Since we use , SHUTDOWN abort)

let me know how to do this

regards,

Edited by: zerandib on Jun 20, 2011 1:40 PM

Edited by: zerandib on Jun 20, 2011 1:42 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi zerandib,

you are recovering archived redo logs from a primary database. Your standby database does not have transactions on its own. So it shouldn't matter for you whether you perform a shutdown abort or a shutdown immediate. The standby database is in permanent recovery mode, so the shutdown type may make a difference for how fast you can shutdown your standby database. There is no special recovery needed, just proceed as if you have performed a shutdown immedate.

Regards,

Mark

achmad_dimyati5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi zerandib,

As long as you have issued command ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE CANCEL;

Then yes it should be no different between shutdown abort and shutdown immediate.

In case not, you need to do more verification. The miminum verification are checking alert logs and any log gaps.

The impact because shutdown abort without issuing above command are depend to your configuration such as Maximum Availability or Maximum Performance, online redo log synch, create new datafile automatically or not.

Your database could be in the middle of redolog apply or even worst such as on the middle creating new datafiles, tablespaces, etc.

Best Regards,

Achmad

Answers (0)