cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIX Users on SAP -- Access/Permissions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need to install ECC on AIX 6.1 & Oracle 11.2.Though I have installed ECC many times on Windows platform but AIX doing for the first time.My AIX Team is saying I will not be give root user id for doing the installation.I have been given <sid>adm & ora<sid> credentials only.My quesry is what permissions/access should <sid>adm & ora<sid> have to perfor any SAP Installation??Whether they should be an adminsitrative user?Can we perform daily SAP activities with these ID's or we also need root user id?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per installation guide you have to use the root userID to perform installation. Install process will automatically sets the appropriate permissions for you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sunil for making me aware..I have checked the Installation Guide & found that we need to perform SAP Installation with root user.

So please correct me if I am wrong.

As per my understanding,

1. We need to login with Root user to the host & run sapinst.

2. SAPinst will create <sid>adm & ora<sid> users during installation.

3. We require root access only during SAP Installation,daily SAP activites can be done through <sid>adm & ora<sid> users.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1. We need to login with Root user to the host & run sapinst.

Correct

> 2. SAPinst will create <sid>adm & ora<sid> users during installation.

If they are not existing. If they exist sapinst changes the environment accordingly.

> 3. We require root access only during SAP Installation,daily SAP activites can be done through <sid>adm & ora<sid> users.{

Exactly.

Sapinst does other changes that require root permissions (e. g. /etc/inittab changes or services in /sbin/init.d etc.) - so a root user is required (or a user that is able to do those changes).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus our AIX guys has already created <sid>adm & ora<sid> users.Is there any problem during if these id's are already created??What is the best practise?

Former Member
0 Kudos

There should not be an issue but if they are not used then II suggest you to delete the users created by UNIX team and SAPINST should create the users for you with appropriate rights.

Or Make sure you add the users in correct groups as per instguide, SAPINST will ignore this steps if you have already created the users.

Answers (0)