cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are in the process of moving our SAP system with Ehp 1 from old server to a new server as we plan to have Ehp 4 on the new server.

Note that our current database is MS SQL server 2005 & we are planning to move to SQL server 2008.

What is the best approch to follow in this matter, if there is any docs or guide, it would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fayez AlHassan

As per the sap recommend you have to use the homogenous system copy method, Sine you are using the Windows server you can use the Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery. In our environments we tried and migrated so many servers.

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your reply.

Now as it is known that SAP recommends system copy export/ import procedure. From my experience it will take the system as it is with its current patch level & after import we will have the same system as it was on the old server. Afterwards, we will implement the Ehp 5.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

My main concern here is the database upgrade. As we will be moving from MS SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008.

Please advise.

Thanks again

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Correct. You have a 2 step process here... You need a Homogeneous System Copy and a EHP upgrade... Assuming your hardware is better on your new box, I'll go for the migration first and then the upgrade.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the fast reply

My last question here is the database. What is the best approach to move form MS SQL Server 2005 to SQL server 2008.

Regards,

Fayez

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What do you mean best approach?... options are explained in detail on the system copy guide.

Regards

Juan

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can upgrade database with system copy only.

Once your export is finished then install target database software on MSSQL 2008 only and then import the database. By this way your database will also upgraded with system copy only. Then perform EHP5 upgrade.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for everything.

As of now I have more than enough information to carry on with the process.

I am closing this message as I believe that my question is now answered.

Thanks Again.

Fayez

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need to follow system copy method for this migration. You can find system copy guides on http://service.sap.com/instguides.

Thanks

Sunny