Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPD Tracking in DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have a basic question which I can explain with a scenario :

In an organisation, there wil be plenty of requirements for a new product from marketing/management/customers

This will be documented and then given to engineering. Engineering wil work on it in various stages like Basic Engineering , Detailed Engineering, Reviewer approval, Approver Approval, MM's creation in SAP, BOM creation.Pilot production, Mass Production etc.

I want to capture these plenty of requirements in some form in SAP and a proper workflow using status network which will pass through all stake holders needs to be established. In any point of time, I should be able to track from which requirement, this product is created.Say, Dept A has 5 new requests which can be grouped under one request number, Dept B has 10 new product requirement which can be grouped into one request etc.

What am looking is basically like in ECR/ECO, we can group all the change requests and follow up till the end. Even through change number, we can track what was modified etc. Like this, I am looking similar in NPDI but here, there wil be no revision updations.

Can I make use of Change Maste-ECR/ECO for this new product development or is there any other ways of doing it in SAP ?

Awaiting for the proper solution,

Regards,

Mishra Summit.

Edited by: sumith.mishra on Jun 18, 2011 2:49 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

All of the requests in your above post can be achieved using a combination of various components within SAP PLM & PPM I guess you are trying to systematize the entire process right from Idea management to product design, reviews and trying to track the products to the ideas portfolio management.

I have a basic question which I can explain with a scenario ........I want to capture these plenty of requirements in some form in SAP and a proper workflow using status network which will pass through all stake holders needs to be established.

Yes this can be achieved using SAP Document management system functionality in combination with SAP workflow for routing the document, reviews and approvals etc

In any point of time, I should be able to track from which requirement, this product is created.Say, Dept A has 5 new requests which can be grouped under one request number, Dept B has 10 new product requirement which can be grouped into one request etc.

For NPD use the SAP PPM suite. You will be able to group various requirements / projects as initiatives, programs etc and will also have various other functionalities such as resource management, etc.

Can I make use of Change Maste-ECR/ECO for this new product development or is there any other ways of doing it in SAP ?

Using ECR / ECO for NPD is not a good idea.

Answers (0)