cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple JRE Versions on Same App Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have a questions in regards to installing multiple JRE's on the same SAP Application Server.

Background:

We currently have an SAP HCM ABAP-only application which will be sitting on a Windows Server 2008 box w/SQL Server backend. The current JRE is 1.4.2 as recommended by SAP for sapinst. What we are trying to achieve is to install the standalone JCo client 3.0 (Java connector) which will be required for a Novell IDM integration (as the HCM is ABAP only - we require JCo standalone client to properly interface). JCo 3.0 requires JRE 5 or 6 as per SAP (we want to install 6).

So.... to my original questions:

1) Is anyone aware of any negative impact or deterrent from SAP Support in regards to having multiple JRE's: JRE 1.4.2 as well as JRE 6 installed on the application server? We will obviously have the env variables point to JRE 6 for the JCo Client.

2) I am also wondering if it is OK to do this, and simply update the variable path back to the 1.4.2 JRE in cases where we need to run sapinst (refreshes, etc)?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Tyler

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tyler,

In my opinion, you could go ahead with first option - have multiple JRE's and maintain the environment variables accordingly.

This should not be a problem as the envrionment variable would take care of which JRE is used. Also as you have only another ABAP system on the same server, the other older JRE would only be required during the SAPInst operations. Non-existence of a Java system makes things simpler here

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Srikishan for the valuable input I will move forward with the multiple JRE's and maintain env. variables accordingly.

Best Regards,

Tyler

Answers (0)