cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sap server MIGRATION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Can you please tell me any one procedure to migrate 250 hardisk of SAP data to 500 GB Hardisk.i have installed Windows OS ,Sqlserver 2005 and SAP installed in 250 Gb hardisk.i want to migrate whole data to 500gb hardisk with same machine.

Thanks

Venkat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can just detach the database, move the database files and re-attach them. You could also just stop the database, move the database files, change the drive letter to the old one and restart the database.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Fortunately Markus understood the question... I initially understood that you did not distribute the OS software, DB software, datafiles and transaction log across different disks; in such an unadvisable configuration you would need to perform a system copy.

But, as fortunately you just need to move the datafiles (or transaction log) from that 250GB disk, then you can follow Markus' advice, that is also contained in note 363018. In such a case, I recommend you to perform a full consistency check and, if it is successful and does not show any corruptions, then a full backup before detaching, as there is no way to (re)attach a corrupted file...

Cheers!!

--Jesú

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat

you can use the third part tool like symantec livestate recovery, because we have migrated some many server in our setup

Regards

Sriram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat!

It is possible that your hardware vendor delivers a simpler method, similar to creating an image (it is not possible in this case as the disks are different size). Otherwise, you should perform a homogeneous system copy.

However, take into account that it is advisable that for a productive system you have some kind of redundancy as well as the divers datafiles, your transaction log and obviously the OS and DB software in different disks and with different redundancy mechanisms (the recommended redundancy mechanism for every kind of contents is explained in the SAP installation guide for your release).

Cheers!!

--Jesú