cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subcontracting BOM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Techies,

I have few clarification s with respect the BOM which we create for subcontracting. In the BOM for subcontracting we can use both Item Category L - Stock Item and N - Non stock item

What s the impact of using L - Stock Item or N - Non stock item in case of subcontracting BOM

Can any one enlighten me on this please.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Kris.S

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishu,

When you use NON Stock item in subcontracting BOM , it gets copied to subcon purchase requistion as text item and Item details in PR shows Direct procurement falg set. Do check and revert.

Regards,

Santosh Sarda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Techies,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry that trigers me in to few more clarifications.

As you refer that in case if we use N as the itemcategory for the subcontracting purchase order it will be send as text.

Now we have the following scenarios in subcontracting

1. we send the materials to the subcontractor to make the production. So we have a BOM and during routing we assign them to the external processing and we enable the Materials in the BOM with indicator K in the material provision ind (correct me if i m wrong in this). So in that case we need to maintain them as L

2. We send the materials to subcontracting always. Also we maintain a BOM for the business point of view and update them as per new changes. In this case what would be ideal category for maintaining the BOM. What if we maintain the item category L in this kind of scenarios?

3. We have some BOM which at times based on demand are done in house and at times send through for external processing.When external processing they don provide the materials to the subcontractor for processing. In this case what would be the ideal category for maintain the BOM. I think it can only be L because you need to stock them as required for in house production. But if they are sent to subcontractor then how does this affect?

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Kris.S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishu,

1. we send the materials to the subcontractor to make the production. So we have a BOM and during routing we assign them to the external processing and we enable the Materials in the BOM with indicator K in the material provision ind (correct me if i m wrong in this). So in that case we need to maintain them as L

Answer: If you maintain material provision indicator as K which menas material is provided by customer and this setting is not yet active in ERP R3 yet.

If material is managed by subcontracter and you just want to keep it for information in BOM,, no dependent requirements are generated for this componenet then maintain Matl Prov Indicator as 'L' in BOM.

2. We send the materials to subcontracting always. Also we maintain a BOM for the business point of view and update them as per new changes. In this case what would be ideal category for maintaining the BOM. What if we maintain the item category L in this kind of scenarios?

Ans: As if compeonets are always planned and managed ?In inventory you should maintain them as stock item ( item category L) in BOM.

3. We have some BOM which at times based on demand are done in house and at times send through for external processing.When external processing they don provide the materials to the subcontractor for processing. In this case what would be the ideal category for maintain the BOM. I think it can only be L because you need to stock them as required for in house production. But if they are sent to subcontractor then how does this affect?

Ans: i Yes item category L is Correct for the BOm components. In this case you can maintain a BOM aletrnative for subcontracting and maintain Matl Provision indicator as L for all the components if you are not supplying them to subcontractor.

Cerate Production version for this BOM alternative and add it to purchasing info record for the subcoin vendor so that it picks correct BOM when doing subcontracting.

Check and Revert.

Santosh Sarda'

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member1362664
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can check it with OS13.

L is basically for those item for which you maintain all inventory related records.

N is non stock item like these item does not have any stock. This item may use in in sub items of BOM.

Regards

Vivek