cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional PR from MRP even with the existence of stock

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

Here is the scenario: A purchase requisition for a material was generated from MRP. The material has no re-order point (we only keep one stock at a time for this material since it is very expensive). In SAP standard, if a stock exists, when MRP is executed, PR should not be generated. But in this case, it happened for the first time that another PR was created eventhough a PR was already processed previously, converted to PO and then received that's why a stock is already available.

Is there someone who has encountered the same scenario? What could have possible gone wrong in the process? I have simulated all scenarios possible over and over but I could not repeat or get the same result. Is this a program bug? Are there any available SAP notes for this case?

Thank you.

Marlon

Edited by: Marlon Manto on Jun 16, 2011 11:10 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marlon,

What is the MRP type?

Pretty hard to troubleshoot if the Preq was created several MRP runs in the past. If there have been no intervening runs, you can take a look at the MD05 listing where the PReq was originally generated, may be a clue there.

In general, my experience is that whenever there is an unexpected procurement proposal (such as a Preq), it is almost always attributable to something that one of the users has done. A distant second place is enhancements that have been poorly coded. Unenhanced SAP software will have an occasional bug, but MRP is one of the most stable chunks of all SAP software. It is extremely unlikely that a bug is the cause of your PReq. You can search yourself for any relevant notes.

In general, an unexpected occurrance that is not consistently repeatable has a poor payback on efforts spent on research. You are often better off just making a note of the event, and watching for future occurrences. If it is a human error, it will probably happen again. If it is a software bug, it will definitely happen again.

You can always raise a message to SAP. The first thing they will ask you for is a repeatable example.

Best Regards,

DB49

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks DB49, Mohar and Deepak for responding. Actually, I have raised the issue to SAP. But since it is very hard to simulate or repeat, they can not do more as well. They also suggested to just observe the behavior of the system. As for other attributes, I have checked all entries in the material master and all seemed correct. I have checked a related customized program but the it is doing fine as well. I have tried simulating the scenario in quality over and over but I can not get the same result. Maybe I really just have to observe this behavior although the company can not afford this thing to happen again because the cost of the material is very high, that's why stocks are kept at the very minimum value of 1.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marlon,

If SAP is unable to help, after having looked through your system, then we in the forum surely will be unable to help.

When troubleshooting a problem, there is a poor payback in 'simulating the error over and over' unless you have consistent errors. Repetitively simulating a consistent 'lack-of-error' is just moving electrons around.

The business problem of which you speak, though, is an easy one to solve. It is not solved by IT, it is solved by the appropriate business manager. Whoever is responsible for procuring this valuable material must not be permitted to place a purchase order using 'autopilot'. He should review in detail all the antecedents that generated the new Purchase req before acting on the req. If he cannot understand why the purchase req was created, he should not convert to a purchase order. This is a common practice in many companies for 'A' items.

Best Regards,

DB49

former_member533946
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi dear,

Just try to check the source of pegged requirement in MD04 hope u will get some help from that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi marlon,

MRP of SAP cant be wrong its a very robust logic and coding. The same stuff happened with me too. But in my case a user has altered the safety stock of the material. So please check in material master if any changes has been made before MRP run and then the change was rectified.

Go to the change details of that material and check.

Regards,

Mohar