cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concept of Co-relation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I have been working in XI for quite some time now, but i find the concept of Co-relation in BPMS hard to conceptualize . or in other words.. Can someone clearly explains this with an example or point @ a resource in SDN that clarifies this thoroughly.

Thanks

Krishna

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

A correlation is used to join n number of xml messages together. Lets say you want to collect all Idocs that have the same saler order numner (a particular field in the Idoc xml).

Then, in your BPM, you define a correlation on that particular field of the idoc.

During runtime, all idocs that arrive with the same value for this particular field are processed in a single instance of the BPM.

for example, 3 idoc arrive, 2 having sales order value 'A' and the third having sales order value 'B'.

In this case, the two idocs having 'A' as sales order will be processed in one process instance and the third idoc with sales order = 'B' will be processed in a seperate process instance.

Regards

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for ur inputs .. Very helpful .... I wish I can award 6 points for more than 2 of those who reply.:) though the intent is to share your valuable knowledge to others...

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Correlation is the feature in the Integration process to define relationship between messages. All the messages that belong to each other share the same instance of the integration process. An order can be related to invoice using corresponding order number. You can see correlation features in the collect message pattern (payload, time dependent etc). Please Refer SAP BASIS 7.10 software component that shipped with PI.

Go to namespace http://sap.com/xi/XI/System/Patterns and see the examples of BPMPatternCollectMessage, BPMPatternCollectTime,BPMPatternCollectPayload and more. Refer SDN for more valuable documents on this topic.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The most simple and straightforward meaning of coorelation is "similarity", "coupling".

Now take a simple example - suppose say i want to invite someone to a celebration. Now i have invited the head of the family to my celebration, so father,mother,brother,sister,son,daughter will come. When i will ask the father who are they he will identify them as there family or co-relate by there relationship..

It's funny but true...

Similarly, when i converted this to PI, now i want to send one request to you and you have responded to the same request. which is okay and need no coorelation. But if the request and response are in multiple then. For me i have to co-relate the request i have send and the response i am geting from you. this is how the coorealation works.

you send a purchase order and on that behalf you will get a response back. so to identify that usiquely you have to use the coorelation concept.

Hope this helps..

Cheers,

Jay

anupam_ghosh2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Correlation is mainly used in scenarios involving BPM. For example, the BPM is receiving xml messages from multiple source. The field values within an xml message varies from one message to another. Suppose we need to combine xml messages which has same value for a specific field and finally map them to target structure. We can then correlate the messages on basis of the common field.

When defining integration processes, we can use correlations to establish semantic relationships between messages. For example, we can correlate a purchase order and the corresponding invoice by means of the purchase order number. The Business Process Engine takes any semantic relationships into account when controlling an integration process.

regards

Anupam

hemant_chahal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Refer this,